Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
I've been reading about setting up a RAID 0 on my Mac Pro, but I just wanted to confirm what I intend to do before I go and muck it all up :p

I have 2 x 500GB (one startup, one time machine) and 2 x 250GB extra storage.

I intend to make the 2 x 250GB into a stripped RAID, then restore my boot drive onto this. Then I could just boot [faster] off the new RAID setup, with identical files as my boot has now? Then change my time machine drive to backup this?

Does the MP support hardware RAID 0 or is it software (other forums seems to undecided about that). My model identifier is MacPro1,1 with 2 x dual 2.66Ghz

Is there any glaringly obvious problem I've missed that'll make me look a noob when someone points it out?

Thank you!

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I intend to make the 2 x 250GB into a stripped RAID, then restore my boot drive onto this. Then I could just boot [faster] off the new RAID setup, with identical files as my boot has now?
Yes. Use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to copy your boot volume to the new RAID 0 boot volume.

Then change my time machine drive to backup this?
Yes.

Does the MP support hardware RAID 0 or is it software (other forums seems to undecided about that). My model identifier is MacPro1,1 with 2 x dual 2.66Ghz
The Mac Pro doesn't come with hardware RAID support, but there are a variety of options if you wanted to add some hardware, from RAID adapters to RAID enclosures. But, Mac OS X supports software RAID 0 or 1 out-of-the-box on any Mac, including as a boot volume: see Mac OS X, Mac OS X Server: How to Use Apple-Supplied RAID Software.

Is there any glaringly obvious problem I've missed that'll make me look a noob when someone points it out?
If you use any of the HFS-mounting utilities for Windows, such as TransMac, HFS Explorer, MacBrowser, MacDisk, or MacDrive, know that they don't support Mac OS X software RAID volumes.

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
Yes. Use something like Carbon Copy Cloner

Is there reason not to just use the 'restore' tab in Disk Utility?

The Mac Pro doesn't come with hardware RAID support, but there are a variety of options if you wanted to add some hardware, from RAID adapters to RAID enclosures. But, Mac OS X supports software RAID 0 or 1 out-of-the-box on any Mac, including as a boot volume: see Mac OS X, Mac OS X Server: How to Use Apple-Supplied RAID Software.
Yikes, expensive!
I'm not a major power user, so I couldn't justify that. How much difference in performance would there actually be for a basic RAID 0 with just two drives? Would it be possible, in the future, to just pop in a card like that and just from software to hardware?

I have now, quite informative, thanks.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Yikes, expensive!
I'm not a major power user, so I couldn't justify that. How much difference in performance would there actually be for a basic RAID 0 with just two drives? Would it be possible, in the future, to just pop in a card like that and just from software to hardware?
Performance:
About 2x that of a single drive, as the calculations performed are quick and simple. No redundancy however, so if one drive fails, all data is lost. Backups are extremely important if you decide to do this.

To switch from software to hardware, isn't as simple as plugging the card into the logic board, and the drives into the card. The card won't be able to make sense of the software stripe, and it would have to be backed up first, then completely reinstalled once the hardware is ready to go.

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
Right, I got my RAID 0 set up, and it seems to have all gone successfully, I'm now using Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my boot drive to the new RAID set.

There's 370GB to copy, and I expected it to take a while... but so far it's copied 326GB, and it's been going for over 11 and a half hours! Am I wrong, or should this not be a lot faster?!

NoNameBrand

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2005
Halifax, Canada
Right, I got my RAID 0 set up, and it seems to have all gone successfully, I'm now using Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my boot drive to the new RAID set.

There's 370GB to copy, and I expected it to take a while... but so far it's copied 326GB, and it's been going for over 11 and a half hours! Am I wrong, or should this not be a lot faster?!

Yes! That's < 10MB/s. :eek: How is your other drive connected? USB?

For some perspective I backed up all my data on my G5 onto a new disk last weekend and it took less than 4-5 hours to do ~500GB (I wasn't really keeping track). Everything was connected via SATA or eSATA.

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
Yes! That's < 10MB/s. :eek: How is your other drive connected? USB?

For some perspective I backed up all my data on my G5 onto a new disk last weekend and it took less than 4-5 hours to do ~500GB (I wasn't really keeping track). Everything was connected via SATA or eSATA.

All internal in my Mac Pro, 500GB drive copying onto RAID 0 with 2 x 250GB

Horst

Jan 10, 2006

I've been getting slow copy speeds when by mistake I didn't format a drive properly ( Mac OS Extended Journaled and GUID ).

Maybe try SuperDuper, it's free for basic cloning .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.