Mac Pro Raid 5 - Same As Drobo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Jan 20, 2010.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Can you setup a mac pro in raid 5 to make a similar setup that drobo uses where everything is safe in case one hard drive crashes?

I am really new to RAID so I don't really understand everything, or how to best setup a mac pro to protect data. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

you have a macpro now? what kind of drives? internal? external?

how much data are we talking about? 500 gigs? more? less?

RAID 5 is most likely overkill for your needs.

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

We are getting one soon. Right now we have about 1tb of pictures. We are wondering if we should get a drobo to keep the data safe, or setup some kind of raid system in a mac pro to keep everything safe.

4. giffut macrumors 6502

If ...

... you have more than one computer, the Drobo would be the better choice, as you can connect it to anyone via USB/Firewire/eSata/Ethernet (depending on the model of Drobo and the I/O needs of you).

Also the Drobo is somewhat different from RAID 5, as you can drop in new harddrives and the device itself will rearrange the data itself - any RAID level doesn´t do this: you will need to make this on your own: http://www.drobo.com/resources/beyondraid.php

The Drobo has a good track record in stability and it´s priced fair. A good hardware RAID 5 card will cost you as much as one Drobo unit itself.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You dont need a RAID card to get a RAID 5 going.

Drobos get mixed reviews on the other Mac boards I frequent.

With a MP and its 4 drive bays:

Bay 1: boot drive
    Bay 2: backup of boot drive (use a drive you already have?)
    Bay 3: 1.5 or 2TB storage drive
    Bay 4: 1.5 or 2TB backup of storage drive

I mention 1.5Tb drives, since they are $99, and 2TB drives are still $180...

And you are covered.

You dont need a MP to accomplish a good backup, you could run an external RAID 5 box off of anything with a FW800 port

Something like this: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEQX2KIT0GB/

Add 4 1TB or 4 1.5TB drives and you are done and fully backed up.

There are other cases like this, about the same cost.