Mac Pro RAID card question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gorda777, Nov 15, 2007.

1. gorda777 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does anyone know if the mac pro RAID card has its own processor on it?

I can't find too much information on the RAID card itself on Apples website.

I'm basically wondering if this RAID card is just a controller card or both (controller & processor) card.

Also, another question: Say I have a Mac Pro and have the option to go with RAID 5 (using Apples RAID card) or purchase an external drive and perform daily backups to this external drive, which of the two methods would be optimal? as far as taking advantage of the speediness (performance) of the Mac Pro.

Thanks for your input.

gorda

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Both. RAID is no substitute for backups as data can get corrupted by more than just a simple HD failure...

3. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

The Apple RAID Card is a 4-Port SAS/SATA Controller with an Intel StrongARM processor. I haven't pulled the heatsink off of mine, but I would bet it's around 300~600MHz. It also includes 256M memory and on board battery for 72 hours worth of backup power.

As far as backups go, RAID-5 prevents data loss in the event of a single disk failure. it WILL NOT prevent data corruption due to software errors. RAID-5 is intended to allow a box to continue running even if a single drive (out of 3 or 4) has failed. Uptime is the focus.

You should always have an external backup plan for critical data. Time Machine backing up to an external RAID-5 NAS is a good addition.

4. gorda777 thread starter macrumors newbie

I presume this info on RAID card would indicate that 'Hardware RAID' is valid for this card. If I may ask, were did you get your information? (ie. Intel STrongArm cpu)

thanks for your input.

gorda

5. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Correction... I think this is accurate:

Intel IOP333 I/O processor operating at 500MHz with hardware XOR

Just from my working with raid controllers in the past (I would guess more than 200 different ones) the Apple RAID Card appears to be based on one of Intel's own RAID controllers. I have some new SATA ports to install next week, so I will pull the heat sinks off and photograph the board then.

6. Rick Here macrumors member

Transeau

Any further investigation into the RAID card?
    Whose processor is on the card?
    Send a picture when you remove the heatsink.

Thanks

7. Rick Here macrumors member

RAID processor

Transeau
    You must be way off on the RAID processor, since you have not posted pics, I am too afraid to remove my heatsinks, but I see 3 large chips under the two heatsinks. This thing rocks for me.

8. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

LOL, reverse psychology to get me to pull my box open. Cute.

I'll post them when I have time to do it. For now, I don't have 2+ hours to spare.