Mac Pro RAID card question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CaptainChunk, Apr 16, 2008.

1. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Hey guys. I'm brand new to this forum, so please be nice. :)

I have a question about Apple's Mac Pro RAID card that I couldn't find an affirmative answer to by searching.

I know that the Apple support documents state that only Apple hard drives are supported by their RAID card. But by that, are they implying "official support" in terms of warranty or "not gonna work at all?"

The reason I ask is obviously that I'm in the market for a new Mac Pro. I need a workstation platform for video editing. But I don't necessary want to pay significantly higher prices for Apple-supplied hard drives if I don't have to. Further, it's impossible to tell what drive make/model you'll actually get going this route.

So I guess my question is aimed towards anyone who has successfully configured 3rd-party hard drives on the Mac Pro RAID card, if it's even possible. I like the idea of keeping the cable runs neat and clean while still having hardware RAID functionality and not having to worry about finding a 3rd-party bootable RAID card with Mac OS X drivers.

Thanks in advance!

2. CST macrumors member

Are you needing to use an xserve or something like that? I use three 500GB drives striped to make a nice little RAID. Works great, no card needed.

3. CaptainChunk thread starter macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Thanks for the reply, but I have my reasons for wanting to use hardware RAID, and it's not because I need to use an Xserve.

Hardware RAID has higher data rates than software RAID, which is important to me because I'll be working with HD video in FCP.

4. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Quick answers

no, you dont need Apple certified drives (but dont go with junk stuff either) WD, Seagate would be my choice.

I know some folks who know this card, and they have informed others to stay away from (why I know not).

check at www.macgurus.com, they have a RAID forum and several folks there know this material.

5. CST macrumors member

I edit HD video all day in FCP, DVCPro 720 or 1080p usually, and have no issues with speed. But I understand you want hardware RAID. I might consider it if I did more uncompressed work but $500 is a lot of money when software RAID does the job fine for me.

6. CaptainChunk thread starter macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Thanks for the reply, CST!

I've been pondering the software vs. hardware RAID thing for weeks trying to make up my mind. And actually, I edit mostly DVCPRO 720p/24 footage from a Panasonic HVX200 myself. I can't exactly afford a RED package... ;)

Since the Mac Pro will be a pretty big purchase for me, I'm just trying to make sure I get the most future-proof machine possible that I won't have to junk and throw away 2 years down the road.

I might just end up doing an eSATA card later down the road with an external enclosure.

7. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

See my post below about the APPLE RAID card.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=456854

One thing to keep in mind, the card will prevent the MP from sleeping (only the monitor with go to sleep) so if you intend to leave the machine on all the time, I recommend getting server grade drives (I use Seagate ES2 drives - the are cool and quiet!)

8. markusm macrumors newbie

I've been doing really well running software RAID with three 500 GB in RAID5. If you are going to work professionally, i.e. 12+ hours a day with online HD editing I would recommend the hardware RAID. Probably not the Apple one thou. I went through what you are going through now a while back when I was considering upgrading to hardware RAID for a specific project, and I found that other RAID cards seem to be more reliable from what users were telling me, or information on the different forums.

Let us know what you end up doing. I am still considering the hardware option when the project that needs it comes around.

9. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I got to shoot with a RED camera underwater last month for a movie called Sensored!!! It is amazing!

10. CaptainChunk thread starter macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Hmmm... Doesn't Apple's software RAID only support 0, 1 and 0+1? I thought you needed a dedicated card to do RAID 5.

Lucky! Actually, the DVX200 really isn't that bad for what it is (a $6,000 prosumer camera). But I've seen stuff shot with the RED and aside from the grain you get with film, I can't tell the difference. The depth of field is AWESOME. It really makes me wonder who in their right mind would want a high-end P2 camera anymore unless they absolutely need variable frame rate...