Mac Pro RAID?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by David N, Jan 24, 2008.

1. David N macrumors member

How could I work four 500gb hard drives I currently own in the new Mac Pro as far as my RAID options go? I'm not spending $800 on the RAID card, are there any software RAID options for it?

RAID5 would be ideal...

2. Toups macrumors regular

Please use the search, this is discussed in great detail.
    Yes, software can work with some caveats.

3. David N thread starter macrumors member

I did use the search feature and didn't exactly find what I was looking for...

To add to the list of questions, if I was to do a RAID 0+1 (if possible with software) and my RAID0 went down, would it simply automatically rebuild my array using the data off the RAID1? I've only ever experienced RAID5 in Windows XP...

Is there a Matrix RAID with Macs like there is with Windows? Right now my five drives are in a RAID0 (15gb per drive) +RAID5 (remained of each drive) configuration. Is this possible to replicate?

Thanks

4. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

i just want to know why apple makes us pay extra for hardware raid, it should just be build into the mobo :mad:

5. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Correct me if im wrong, but i read somewhere that the PC version of the 5000V mobo for mac pros had builtin raid capabilities, no software required.

Funny how apple does not continue with that and charge 800 bucks for a raid card.

6. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

It just irks me that i can build a PC Video editing rig with 4 drives running hardware raid 0 for less than 1,500
    but if i want the same raid setup from apple i have to spend
    2,300 on a mac pro
    800 on raid card
    then a few hundred for hard drives
    so thats almost 2,000 dollars more...

i really want the mac pro, if the pro had raid built in, the price difference between the $2,300 pro and the $1,500 pc wouldn't bother me, i would just get the mac... but havening a hard time justifying spending 2k more to have osX

7. rds macrumors regular

Disk Utility's RAID competes with any low-end hardware RAID performance wise. The only disadvantage is that it means you are tied to OS X.

8. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

Are you saying i wouldn't be able a have a windows partition? or that the windows partition just wouldn't be using the raid?

9. David N thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone confirm what built-in RAID capabilities the new pro has without the RAID card? I haven't found anything...

10. mrcandy macrumors regular

Because the RAID is done in software it doesn't matter what kind of Mac you have.

Under Leopard the RAID software in OSX can do RAID 0, RAID 1, JBOD, and RAID 0+1 (or 1+0). It cannot do RAID 5, etc.

11. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

How much dedicated ram on that MOBO Raid controller, and what kind of dedicated battery does it use?

12. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

What? i was just saying that the mother board should have it....

13. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

Actually the search functions on this forum suck. You're better off googling to find the appropriate pages on Macrumors.