Mac Pro Ram Configuration

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mustard Chops, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Mustard Chops macrumors regular

Hey guys, I've currently got 1gb (2 x 512mb sticks) of ram in my mac pro and have 2 x 1gb sticks on the way.

Is it best to put the 2 x 1gb sticks on the bottom riser and leave the 2 x 512's on the top? Or should i fill a riser with the 4 sticks?

Cheers

2. AJClayton macrumors 6502

AJClayton

Mustard Chops,

I did the same as you when I got my Mac Pro in April. I bought it with the standard 2x 512MB and purchased an additional 2x 1GB sticks from somewhere else (Crucial in my case).

I added the 2x 1GB into the lower card in the 2 slots closest to the motherboard (ie. the same 2 slots as used in the upper card for the standard ram). I did this because of the guidelines in the Mac Pro User Guide that came with the machine (see page 34).

A bloke in Solutions Inc in Bournemouth I was speaking to before I bought my Pro said that he'd had better performance out of adding 2x 512MB sticks in the lower caddy. Didn't stop me from putting in 2x 1GB though :p

3. Mustard Chops thread starter macrumors regular

4. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Just for the search engine purposes, I'll add...

On the inside of the Mac Pro case, there's a diagram. Apple wants you to add RAM by alternating the banks from top to bottom.

It arrives with ram in the top. So if you add ram (2 sticks), add them to the first 2 banks in the bottom. if you add more, add them to the top, then the bottom.