Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
I finally collected my Mac Pro at the Apple store this evening. So far, everything is beautiful - it's just so much more solid than anything else I've used. And it really is very quiet - no more annoying than the 24" iMac I sent back for sound issues, and this one I get to put under the desk. Considering the extra power, it's far superior.

Only one problem, and it's not that bad - the 'genius' put the extra gig of memory on the top riser, along with the default sticks. I know it's not the best place for them, but in real terms, am I going to see any difference? I'm not a HD video pro or anything, and in all reality at the moment some gaming will be the most I'll throw at it. Would you bother swapping the FB-DIMMs? I'm sure I can do it, but it boots fine, tests fine, and they cost sooo much...

David

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The RAM should be installed following the instructions printed inside the case. If they're not then take them out and put them in properly.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
By having them in the wrong slots you have half the memory bandwidth you'd have if the RAM was in the correct slots. That's worth fixing.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
robbieduncan said:
By having them in the wrong slots you have half the memory bandwidth you'd have if the RAM was in the correct slots. That's worth fixing.

Suppose so, at least it will make me check the bottom riser is working.

If a 'genius' can't follow a diagram on the inside of the door, what sort of super humans does that make us? Having said that, one of the sales assistants hadn't heard of ATI. I had to spell it out...

David

techster85

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Lubbock, TX
I think it does make a speed difference, even if you aren't really doing anything heavy duty (HD video, etc.) Plus, I'd say if Apple suggests that you do it that way, then you do it that way haha.

Also, I installed 2x1gb into my MP along with the stock 2x512mb. I moved the 1 gb riser to the bottom and the 2 gb to the top, thinking it might make a difference in speed. But does it really? or did I just take an extra step?

tehsuck

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2006
In order to get the full benefit of the Mac Pro's 256 bit memory data path, you'll want to populate both memory riser cards, each with at least one matched pair. If you put your memory on only one riser, you are dropping from quad channel to dual channel mode. See Apple's Mac Pro memory notes for more this.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Thanks again everyone - I switched them the next morning, and the amazing results are...

Well, I haven't noticed any, but it's good to know everything is now as it should be. Overall enjoying the Mac Pro experience. Everything is working well, and the worst annoyance (now I've put a silencer on the x1900xt) is a intermittent clicking noise - sounds like a fan ramping up and down, but I don't always hear it, and it might well be the HD (but in a non-OMG, I'm going to lose my data! kind of way.) If that's the wost thing, then things aren't too bad.

Oh yeah, it's definitely teh snappy.

David

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I downloaded the .pdf and i cant understand it, i am no computer expert. What dose it mean by DIMM's? If i get 6GB worth of RAM which slots do i put them in?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I downloaded the .pdf and i cant understand it, i am no computer expert. What dose it mean by DIMM's? If i get 6GB worth of RAM which slots do i put them in?

A DIMM is a Dual Inline Memory Module -- that is, one memory 'stick' that you are installing. The MacPro uses FB-DIMMs, (Fully-Buffered DIMMs) which are a specific type of module.

The MacPro has 8 memory sockets, each can take one DIMM. The sockets are divided into two "Riser" cards, 4 sockets each. Each riser has sockets numbered 1 through 4. You must install RAM in pairs of identical DIMMs.

To install RAM, follow this order:
1st pair -- Top Riser: Sockets 1 and 2
2nd pair -- Bottom Riser: Sockets 1 and 2
3rd pair -- Top Riser: Sockets 3 and 4
4th pair -- Bottom Riser: Sockets 3 and 4

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
It matters - and Apple has instructions printed on the inside of the case, and probably in your manual as well. You need full memory bandwidth when dealing with crappy FB-DIMMS...

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
A DIMM is a Dual Inline Memory Module -- that is, one memory 'stick' that you are installing. The MacPro uses FB-DIMMs, (Fully-Buffered DIMMs) which are a specific type of module.

The MacPro has 8 memory sockets, each can take one DIMM. The sockets are divided into two "Riser" cards, 4 sockets each. Each riser has sockets numbered 1 through 4. You must install RAM in pairs of identical DIMMs.

To install RAM, follow this order:
1st pair -- Top Riser: Sockets 1 and 2
2nd pair -- Bottom Riser: Sockets 1 and 2
3rd pair -- Top Riser: Sockets 3 and 4
4th pair -- Bottom Riser: Sockets 3 and 4

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

/bow thanks for the information its a lot of help to me.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
/bow thanks for the information its a lot of help to me.
Only one pair of DIMMs on each riser is active at a time, the same pair of DIMMs on each riser.

Which is why you follow CanadaRAM's method for putting memory into the Risers.

060634001312_01.jpg

freezerburrn

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
La Habra, CA
Thanks again everyone - I switched them the next morning, and the amazing results are...

Well, I haven't noticed any, but it's good to know everything is now as it should be. Overall enjoying the Mac Pro experience. Everything is working well, and the worst annoyance (now I've put a silencer on the x1900xt) is a intermittent clicking noise - sounds like a fan ramping up and down, but I don't always hear it, and it might well be the HD (but in a non-OMG, I'm going to lose my data! kind of way.) If that's the wost thing, then things aren't too bad.

Oh yeah, it's definitely teh snappy.

David

What exactly is a silencer David? I'm really interested in one because the X1900 is pretty loud.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
What exactly is a silencer David? I'm really interested in one because the X1900 is pretty loud.

It's basically a replacement heatsink and fan - not too difficult to install, but obviously if you kill the card while doing it you're SOL. The one that most of us on these forums have is from Artic Cooling, called the Accelero X2.

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.