Mac Pro RAM Page Outs ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mjones185, Oct 12, 2009.

1. mjones185 macrumors regular

Hi folks,

I've had my Mac Pro 2009 Quad 2.6 for about two months now. I'm learning more and more about it and looking into upgrading RAM. From all the forum comments I think I've decided on 12GB based on my usage (Photoshop Pro, FCS, VM's, etc). Only thing I've not been able to figure out is, is OWC and RamJet memory any good. I usually use Crucial but can't afford their steep price at the moment.

Anyways, I do have a question about pageouts. I have the factory 3GBs and when I use Aperture to view a photo I see I get about 30MBs, see attachment. However, my RAM still shows about 800MBs available. Can someone explain how this works? I've read about it but don't understand how it works with RAM still available.

Mike

Attached Files:

2. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

OWC RAM is really good stuff.

I've only had a problem with their RAM once and they RMAed it in about 2 seconds. Great shop, good RAM, recommended.

3. alangsam macrumors newbie

owc memory is the best.

i have 6 macs. i have used their memory and others. 100% success rate and you deal with them personally. i have had other memory - supposedly good memory simply not work and have major issues returning when the RMA's didnt work. oh and OWC memory is also very competitive on price.

4. Roy macrumors 6502

See signature. No problem with OWC ram. Works great.

5. mjones185 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys on your RAM distributor recommendations, I've been leaning towards OWC for some time now. It's hard to leave a company (Crucial) who I've been dealing with for sometime now; but, their prices for some reason are not competitive with other companies such as OWC, RamJet, etc for the 12GB kit. However, they have dropped from around $1150 to $850 last week, still not close enough to OWC's.

Do you have any thoughts on the pageout question? I'm curious to know how it works and why I wild get pageouts with still having available RAM?

Mike

6. rtrt, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  7. mjones185 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the comments. BTW, What part of the UK are you from? I spent 4 years at RAF Mildenhall.

Mike

8. rtrt, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011