Mac Pro RAM - Pairs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JimmyB248, May 4, 2007.

1. JimmyB248 macrumors regular

I'm looking to upgrade from my old 1.8 Dual Core G5 as its starting to get a little bit sluggish, so I'm looking into the mac pro and have a few questions.

Is it worth the jump from 2.0GhZ to 2.66GhZ? What sort of speed increase would I see? The primary use of the computer is for editing, so using Final Cut, Compressor, Motion, After Effects, Photoshop maybe. Is it worth the extra cash? I'm looking for the most cost effective solution.

Also, with the RAM, I think I 4GB would be good to get for what I plan to use it for, but I want to try and save some cash and buy it from somewhere like Orca Logic or somewhere rather than with Apple. Does the RAM need to come in pairs? If I just order the standard 2x 512mb then want to upgrade to 4gb, can I just buy 3x 1gb sticks? Then they wouldn't be in pairs? Any ideas for this, its too early in the morning to try and get my head around that.

2. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

You don't need to install the RAM in pairs, but their is a slight speed advantage, though personally I've never experienced a huge performance leap. If you can't afford to buy 4 1GB sticks of RAM, then I'd say definetly just buy 3 sticks and leave the stock RAM in there, more RAM over paired RAM IMO.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In the Mac Pro you do need to install in pairs. The machine will refuse to boot if a non-pair is inserted.

4. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Oh, I didn't know that! Sorry OP, my bad. Disregard my 1st post :eek:

5. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Depending on what version of Final Cut you use, you will also want to spend the money and upgrade those to Universal binary versions of those applications.

6. JimmyB248 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I've got 5.1 anyway, but will be upgrading to FCS2 when its out and gotten the bugs out of the way.

Thanks for the help.