Mac Pro RAM question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tom., Feb 24, 2008.

1. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Does anyone know how many slots the current boards have in the mac pro, and if so, how many slots are free if you have the standard 2GB.

I want 4GB in this machine when i purchase it, and i'm wondering whether i must buy 2x2GB and sell the 2gb that comes with it (as the upgrade on from apple is too expensive i would buy from crucial), or whether i can just add another 2GB myself.

What form does the 2GB come in? 4x512MB, 2x1GB, 1x2GB?

PS. Will it void the warranty by opening the case an installing crucial RAM?

2. iSail macrumors newbie

There are two memory boards ("risers") each with four slots.

Stock RAM is 2 - 1G sticks, one in riser A slot 1 and one in riser B slot 1.

You can add RAM yourself and Apple RAM is not needed to maintain the warranty.

You may want to keep the original RAM, though; if you have problems, AppleCare may ask you to remove all 3rd party hardware and test again, to eliminate the foreign RAM as part of the problem.

3. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

1. 2 risers with 4 slots each for a total of 8 of which 6 are free
    2. I'd go for an extra 2 x 2 GB and still use the original 2 x 1 GB for a total of 6 GB
    3. Just answered it above.

PS. No, you won't void the warranty. BTW, it would be a good idea to KEEP the original ram rather than selling it off. Just in case.