Mac Pro RAM Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rickvanr, Jan 5, 2010.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Hello

My G5 died a couple weeks ago due to a coolant leak. Apple is replacing my machine with a Mac Pro. Since my G5 had 8GB RAM, they're putting 8GB RAM in the Mac Pro. I've heard the Mac Pro uses triple channel RAM. It's coming with 4 x 2GB.

My question is, should I buy an additional 2 x 2GB sticks so I can have 3 x 2GB x 2? I'm assuming it's going to be pretty quick with 8GB, just curious if it'll make that much of a difference to have it in triple channel.

Thanks

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If Apple replaces your G5 with a 2009 Mac Pro quad you will not have more than 4 RAM slots.

3. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I've been told it's the 2.93GHz 8-core it's being replaced with, so it'll have 8 slots.

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If it is an octad it certainly would make some sense to populate all three channels per CPU. This can be done by adding 2 x 2GB for a total of 12 GB. You can also buy 4 x 4GB for a total of 32 GB if more RAM is an objective. You will certainly not realize bandwidth issue either way.

5. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Machine is in today. Going to pick it up in the next few days

I'll get it home and see how she feels before I think about adding additional RAM.

Thanks