Mac Pro RAM - Where to unload it?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Michael73, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Maybe I just overlooked it, but is there a buy/sell forum part of MacRumors?

I had a MP 2006 version and earlier this spring got an '08 version. Obviously, the '06 version that came standard with 2x512MB FB-DIMMs was under-powered so I got 2x1GB Netlist FD-DIMMS from OWC. When I got my '08 version I didn't want to put the 667MHz DIMMS in there with 800MHz stuff. For some reason, I was under the impression that I could get the $55 trade-in RAM rebate from OWC but they've said it only applies to the RAM that comes from Apple, not from third-party sellers...even themselves. So, that leaves me with 2x1GB FB DIMMS. There's nothing wrong with them at all but I'd like to hear from some others what a reasonable asking price is and where the best place to sell them is. FWIW, I looked on eBay already but eBay turns me off because by the time I get done paying their fees plus the fees for PayPal I won't even make enough to justify the time I spend listing them, packing them and shipping them.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Marketplace. You can't post there without a certain number of posts. Don't post buy/sell threads anywhere else; they'll be deleted.

3. smchan macrumors member

Where is the Marketplace? Not wanting to post, but I do want to look for used hardware. (I've searched and can't find it.)

Thanks,
    Sam

4. osin macrumors 6502

Marketplace section has been closed recently.

5. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

it is not closed. viewing AND posting is restricted to members with certain duration members and number of posts in order to hopefully require less moderator intervention in trades gone bad etc.

so, you want to see the marketplace? simple, keep posting meaningful posts and stay here. :)

6. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

Marketplace Requirements

Can someone tell me what the requirements are for using the marketplace.

Personally, I've been on Macrumors 17 months and had well over 100 posts. What does it take to get in and where do you find it once you've put in your time and posts?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

250 posts and six months are required for the Marketplace.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Smilies/readme.txt.gif

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

10. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! I spend most of my time on the front page or in the MacPro forum and very occassionally anywhere else so this just kind of slipped by me.

On a personal note the rules while completely understandible and probably arising as the result of abuse by others smacks of "guilty until proven innocent." The assumption that because "we don't know you so we can't trust you" is xenophobic. I'm sure there are many thousands of members who occassionally post and might never reach the 250 post level needed to join the marketplace.

Let's face it, the Macrumors community brings the manufacturing term of "just-in-time" to a whole new level when it comes to news about Apple. In fact, I find that many times in just an hour or two after something is posted here that someone, somewhere has posted the same thought or question I had as I read the original article. Probably like many others, rather than duplicate post or post something inane like, "That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!" I don't post anything at all.

I want to be clear, I'm not asking for an exception from the current Marketplace rules. I'm all for a level playing field. However, in this case I think it's a shame that the MacRumors Forum Community has decided that a few bad apples (no pun intended) justify the need for a policy that at the end of the day benefits the few and denies those same benefits to the many.

11. osin macrumors 6502

I tought that I saw last week a warning that the Marketplace will be closing and moderator was asking to finish off the sales and do not post new ones... it seems I misread it. to be honest I didn't pay attention to that info at that time. my bad than :D

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

That was the old market place, they opened a new one with these new rules.

13. osin macrumors 6502

thanks for clarifying that mess :)