Mac Pro RAM - Why so expensive?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dansai, Sep 6, 2009.

1. dansai macrumors newbie

Where is the best place to get this? I'm in the UK and the cheapest I can find works out about £150 for 8gb (2x 4gb) as imported from Macsales.com

SURELY this memory isn't still as expensive as this? I can get 8gb of "normal" DDR2 800mhz ram for £30 from my usual supplier, what makes this stuff so special? I didn't upgrade straight away for this exact reason, but it's been 18 months now and still the ridiculous price!

Hope someone can help :)

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

That's about as much as I paid, I'd consider that a good deal. Yes it's still that expensive, as there are A LOT of computers still using 800 DDR2

Andrew

3. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Its fully buffered. Thats the main reason. The secondary reason is apple tax.

4. dansai thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm maybe it's worth it then. Perhaps shockingly I'm currently running on the stock 2gb, what kind of a difference will I see running 10gb? To be honest it seems to run wonderfully as it is, but I'm starting to get more into music production and I can see it becoming a problem.

It's a 2008 2.8ghz Octo, by the way.

5. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I have 18GB, bought 2x4GB from OWC, good stuff

I think you'll definitely need more than 2GB for music production lol

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

FB-DIMMs have come down a lot in price since they were introduced 3 years ago (£275 for a single 2GB DIMM). They are legacy now though and the price won't likely come down any more. Infact you will probably see it go up now.

You should also consider that with OWC you will need to pay at least $30 in shipping and VAT on the price + shipping. It's cheaper just to buy from crucial.com