Mac Pro ram. Your experiences.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macenforcer, Jun 20, 2007.

1. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

I figured I would put this into one new thread to discuss the problems with mac pro ram. Looks like many places are starting to sell the ram but with differences. Take a look.

My experience has been with a Mac Pro 2.66ghz and a Mac Pro 3ghz 8 core. I have purchased Transintl, Crucial, Kingston and ofcourse I have apple ram.

Please share your experiences with your Mac Pro ram purchase so we can see a record of who has what types of modules, their return policy, how you were treated and what you paid. Thanks.

OWC

RAM: They Sell netlist brand and their own OWC brand. The netlist costs more. They say its because its certified vs their cheaper brand which is qualified. I say does it work or not. This difference in ram is confusing and doesn't make alot of sense. Are they saying its better to get netlist because it will work vs their cheaper brand that won't?

Return Policy: Sure its all lifetime warranty but do they pay for return shippping? I have heard no.

Transintl

They have their own brand of Dimms. I have tested the 4gb kits, 3 of them and here are my findings.

RAM: Non of the ram worked properly. They all showed up but caused numerous problems. First set caused computer to not reboot. Second set caused fans to ramp up to 4000rpm from sleep, third set seemed ok, fans did go up to 1400rpm though but here is the problem... none of the ram had heat sensors on the chips. I used a program called "iStat Pro". This program monitors the temp sensors in the ram. The transintl ram had no such sensor.

Return Policy: Transintl will not pay for return shipping. As you can see I am out almost $45 in shipping charges in returns and original shipping. I have heard from others they did not receive their return shipping refund either.

Newegg

RAM: Newegg sells many brands of ram. The ram tested from them was the Kingston 2gb modules. These modules did not come with apple brand heatsinks. I did however purchase some ram heatsinks from them at the same time and applied them and the ram functions perfectly.

Return Policy: Newegg will refund your shipping, but you must ask them to do so.

Apple

RAM: All the apple ram in my mac pros have temp sensors. This is needed to communicate with the mac pro for fan control. My apple ram has been flawless so far. Tested are 2 x 512mb sticks. I have not purchases ram seperately from Apple. Their ram is very expensive. That all said. My apple ram has Micron stickers on them which is Crucial ram.

Crucial

RAM: Their ram has been perfect. No problems with the 8gb of ram in 2gb sticks I have received. It runs cool, and has temp sensors.

Return Policy: They pay for return shipping. I found this out 2yrs ago. Has this changed, or is it still the same.

Please post your experiences with your ram.

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

OWC

OWC pays return shipping for 120 days after purchase.

The difference in RAM is no different than the difference between value and higher end RAM (Ballistix, etc) in the general desktop market.

Different chips are used, that is the distinction OWC makes between their two models. They also use heat spreaders that they say are above normal Apple and JEDEC standards.

The cheaper RAM works just fine, they aren't saying anything. They are just saying hey we have premium memory as just about every company has typically. There is a reason some buy value and why some buy high end. They want the difference that is claimed. Sometimes that difference doesn't exist, sometimes it does.

My OWC worked great (albeit more expensive) late last year. I don't imagine it has changed much. They are really friendly helpful people as well.

Transintl
    There is still no real evidence aside from a program whose configuration on your machine is unknown. I believe someone else reported getting temps with Transintl with a different app. I don't think it is fair to make this claim without more evidence. They could have it setup in a way that needs to be configured in istat or maybe since the RAM was just bad it didn't work. But lets get some more data on that before we say they have none. In fact I will call a rep and ask.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OWC (macsales.com)
    Terms of Service
    "[paraphrased] Customer pays 1 way return shipping"

Newegg
    Terms of Service
    Doesn't actually state who pays shipping - so there is no committment.
    "All items returned for a refund are subject to a 15% restocking fee.
    Exchange with NewEgg up to 1 year, after that contact manufacturer for warranty terms"

An issue with some companies is that after some period (30 days or 365 days), you are forced to deal directly with the manufacturer, not the company who sold it to you.

Data Memory Systems
    Policies
    "30 day money back guarantee, (no restocking charge)...
    DMS will pay for the shipping charges for defective returns
    DMS warrants memory against manufacturing defects for the lifetime of the original owner. Memory modules will be repaired or replaced with no freight cost to the consumer unless otherwise directed."

Our policies are on our web page but as per MR rules I don't link there directly.

Crucial
    Terms
    Doesn't state who pays for return shipping.

Outpost/Fry's
    Warranty Information
    Seems to be manufacturer's warranty only. Outpost do not seem to state a DOA policy -- that is how soon you have to return a defective on arrival product, and who pays shipping. You have to mail in a request for the warranty details.

4. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

So straight from thier terms of service: "The customer is responsible for the shipping cost to return the item."

5. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Ok suneohair. Please don't provide conjecture in this thread. This thread is for experiences people have had. It is not to prove doubt or to disprove peoples methods. I am only providing the testing that I have done. Might be a good idea to just stay out of this thread as you do not have a mac pro and have no experience with the ram. Thanks.

6. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Newegg.com
    Bought 2x1GB Kingston memory, with heat spreaders (not heat sinks). These worked fine, but they do not have temperature sensors inside. Later, I replaced the heatspreaders with Apple-type heatsinks from Maxupgrades.com

MaxUpgrades.com
    Pucharsed 2x1GB chips and 2x512mb chips. Overnight shipping was fast and accurate, no problems with the FB-DIMMS. The heatsinks are exactly the same as Apple's heatsinks and they have temperature sensors. The prices are the lowest I've seen online.

Return Policy: No word on their site. But from what others have said, you pay shipping and insurance and only get the new RAM once the defective items have arrived in California.

7. tribe3 macrumors 6502

Over the last 6 years I've purchased memory from 4 vendors:

OWC
    Newegg (here I just bought for wife's iMac G5 and one of my kids PC)
    DMS
    Crucial

I never had a memory stick fail on me from any of these guys (knock on wood). Lately I decided to go with Crucial because their memory (Micron) is the same that Apple is using on my MP (as i've posted before http://web.mac.com/tribe3/iWeb/Site/Library.html )

My favorites are Crucial and OWC because when the first MacBook Pros came out -- that machine is very picky with RAM -- people that were using anything but Crucial or OWC were having all sorts of problems, so I figured that if they get it right with difficult computers they must be better...

DMS has good prices and their memory worked perfect and cool on my ex 2.66 MP but their heat-sinks are not very nice looking (it said Patent pending on them; who knows they might be revolutionary)

Just my 2 cents

Bests.

8. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I ordered the Netlist from OWC, first set kernel panic. OWC sent a return label via UPS.

2nd set, worked but one dimm was faulty and only booted with 1 gig instead of 2 most of the time. OWC paid for return shipping.

3rd set, just got yesterday and so far so good.

9. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

Lycanthrope

I got 2x2GB Netlist from OWC via a friend in California (means it costs me haf the price of the stuff here in Europe) and after an initial problem with it being recognized at boot it has been fine. I think the initial problem was seating because I basically took it out and reseated then it was OK.

I do wonder if they don't run a little hot though, my stock Apple 512MB's are currently at 63 degrees centigrade and the 2GB's around 85 - that's 100% on all four processor cores 24/24 as I'm running SETI.

10. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I've bought chips from newegg and OWC.

I've not had any problems with either.

11. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

The photo on that website seems to show finned heatsinks on both sides of the Crucial (and Apple) RAM modules.

According to the pictures on the Crucial Website (as well as a chat with their "live" tech support)... the heatsink is finned on one side and a flat metal strip on the other??

Does anyone have first hand (and recent) experience with the types of heat sinks on DMS, CRUCIAL, OWC and TRANSINTL Ram?

Also what is the difference between "Heat Sink" and "Heat Spreader"?

12. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I second that!. Yeah suneohair, please do not provide any relevant information to this thread. This is only about anecdotal evidence and other non-data.

The fact that you do not own a mac pro means that you couldn't possibly know anything about them, because when you buy one, that's when the rune of infinite knowledge is immediately downloaded into your brain and you are made a demigod as a result.

Please do not burden your betters with your presence. Peasant.

13. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Yet another:

[​IMG]

14. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

15. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Aaahh, so that's whats up. :p