Mac Pro RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mrgq, Dec 9, 2010.

1. mrgq macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 quad-core mac pro. I know that eventually i can upgrade the CPU to a westmere hex-core so i was looking into buying 1133 DDR3 memory. Could i use non-ecc unregistered ram also? Should i buy OWC or Crucial?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can't mix ECC and non-ECC so I would stick with ECC if you want to use your current modules. I would also stick with 1066MHz because if you mix 1333MHz with 1066MHz, the higher clocked modules will be underclocked and in real life the bump in RAM speed doesn't offer anything. If 1333MHz is the same price, then go ahead and get it.

I would buy from whichever is the cheapest (among these known, reliable brands). Check TransIntl, they may be a bit cheaper.

3. mrgq thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. Not planning on mixing the modules. I was also considering the 1133 one since it already works with the westmere CPU's and if i was to change the CPU then i would already have the memory. Also there is really no price difference between the 1066 and the 1133.

The problem with the memory that comes with the mac pro is that it has 3 x 1GB modules. So it will be very difficult to upgrade the ram and still be able to use the one that came with the computer.

4. johnnymg, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Keep in mind 1033 RAM can be used with the Hex.

If you're $'s starved you could purchase 3x4GB (see below) and add one of the 1 GB modules that came with the computer. A much better solution would be to just purchase 4 of these bad boys: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=W1066EB4GA&title=Super-Talent-DDR3-1066-4GB-ECC-Server-Memory-For-Apple-Mac-Pro-Systems

***** Can someone confirm that these modules have the temperature sensor???

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They seem to be Apple-approved and specifically made for Mac Pro so would be surprising if they didn't have

http://www.supertalent.com/products/apple.php