Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madyaks

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
They need to bump the standard from 1 gig to 2..
I have read on here how it is too expensive, and it's the industry standard.
I think that's all BS!

This isn't Dell, it's not Gateway or IBM. This is Apple and this is supposed to be the "Pro" machine.
How many users of this box use 1 gig of ram? This isn't your mom's email box, or the kids school machine.. those are Minis and Imacs. (and I think they should have at least 1 gig standard)
This is the Pro.. 2 gig is probably not enough but it will do.

A a minimum you should be able to buy the machine with 2 gig for something less than 299.

Your Pro offering should be your PRO offering.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
A a minimum you should be able to buy the machine with 2 gig for something less than 299.

er... you want the machine, AND with 2gig of your "something, AND for 299?

if you want 2gig of ram, go get 2gig of ram. if apple makes 2 gig of ram standard, they'll probably raise the price (why wouldn't they)... and the truth is you can probaby get ram cheaper else where... now do you still want 2 gig of ram to be standard?

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
When apple need to have 2GB standard to sell Mac Pros, that's when it'll happen. I'm guessing around 2009.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
As I see it most people buying Mac Pro's are getting BTO's or are upgrading them with 3rd party products after the sale.

Given the Mac Pro is all about '3 million configurations' (or whatever it was), I don't see the need to change the stock one. You may as well keep it cheap to keep the headline price down, and then those wanting to do 3rd party upgrades can do so without having to get a BTO with reduced specs. Anyone wanting anything different from Apple can just get a BTO.

m3henn04

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
I agree with the first reply...I got mine as a BTO and only got 1gig at first because I didn't think I would need it, but being the speed freak that I am and after doing a little reading I went to the local Apple Store and bought another gig. The difference is amazing. The ram is expensive because it is by far better and more stable than anything else out there. PC's use unbuffered ram which can have errors when large amounts of the ram are being used by the system. If you want 2gig's standard go buy an overpriced Dell XPS 700 and get a dual core for about $500 more than the Apple quad core with a more reliable chipset and more power.

If you are going to do a built to order then get the 2 gig option.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
The way I see it, if you are complaining about the ram, then you probably can't afford the computer in the first place.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
The way I see it, if you are complaining about the ram, then you probably can't afford the computer in the first place.

If they started selling the Mac Pro with only APPLE RAM in it.... it would get pretty darn expensive. I think Apple wants their users to be able to save a little bit of money on RAM after forking over that much money for the computer.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Does anyone know how much of a boost you'd get with upgrading to 3GB from the standard 1GB? I'm really interested if the $400 will be worth the speed/stability increase.

Anyone care to share RAM upgrade stories about how even a little bit of RAM changed your computing life forever?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.