Mac Pro Random Rebooting?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Hawk911, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Hawk911 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have an early 2008 Mac Pro running bootcamp and last night it started randomly rebooting. Sometimes it occurs a couple minutes after it has booted. Sometimes it takes longer.

As I am pretty Mac-illiterate I would greatly value any help in this matter because I do not know what to do.

Here is some background info:

Early 2008 Mac Pro. Dual quad core intel Xeon processors, 2.8 Ghz (8 cores total). 20GB RAM. Video card is Nvidia 2GB Quadro 4000.
    It got a new main board installed under warranty in about 2009.

Less than a year ago it got new Hard Drives (4X SATA), OS, Graphics card, Matrox MX02 mini max card with external rack. It boots to Mac OS 10.7 Lion but I almost always boot it and use Windows 7 Pro 64 bit using bootcamp because most of my work is done with windows software.
    Since the new drives, graphics card, Matrox Mini Max, Mac OS, Windows 7, and fresh install of all software and plugins it has worked excellent (until last night and today).
    The newest system drive is divided between Windows 6 and Lion. 2 of the other drives are for windows media and the 4th is for Mac media.

The computer was only connected to the internet when I did the os download, install and all the software activations. It has not been connected since then.

What seems to happen is approx 2 minutes after booting to windows it will just reboot and I hear the chime and it goes to a windows black error screen asking to start normally, etc.. It usually will then reboot another 1-3 times before it finally loads windows and then appears to work normally.
    At that point it may work for several minutes or longer until it reboots again.
    The rebooting occurs just sitting on the desktop and not running any particular program.

This morning after several reboots I held down "option" and instead booted to Mac OS to see if it would reboot. It sat on the desktop screen for several minutes with no problem. However then I had to shut it down and leave so I certainly cannot conclude whether or not the reboot problem occurs in both Windows and Mac OS or not....yet.

Again. I thank you for taking the time to read this.

2. Hawk911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update. I booted to OSX Lion and just let it sit on the desktop. Went to another room, ate and came back approx 10 minutes or so. The screen was black but I noticed the white light was still lit on the front of the tower so I pushed the up arrow on my USB attached keyboard and I heard the computer come alive as if asleep, the screen temporarily lit up to the MAC desktop then went black and it rebooted then rebooted again then finally started windows.
    So it looks like Mac OS is also having problems. I wonder if it's hardware?!

By the way, I have it set up so it boots to windows unless I hold control and then select otherwise.