Mac pro randomly shuts off

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Spikeanator6982, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

Had my mac pro since Feb. No new hardware added since Feb. Been running fine till the other day.

I was using it, and out of no where. bam. off. turned it back on and it either shut down before the apple screen or sometimes lasted till starting/using a few apps. over and over. this happened. booted off cd and ran hardware test, no problems. It ran fine after the hardware test till today. and the same events happen today.

If I remember right, the first shutdown was right after updating firefox, but that could be a coincidence too. and..it shuts off before firefox is open at times.

umm..i guess idk if this is caused by an electric power problem, the computer is after a surge protector, but not a apc. nothing else in the house seems to be affected except I guess at times the ligths will dim when the dryer or of the like kick on, but that has not been seen in the room the mac pro is in when it shut down, but nothing else shuts off bc of it, including this pc i am using to type this.

so..umm help, please...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did it catch anything in the crash logs within Console?

3. Spikeanator6982 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would love to tell you, but..atm I cant keep it on long enough to look. :confused:

4. wsu108 macrumors newbie

Try to connect your MP direct to the AC plug on the wall, bypass your UPS. Just to see if the problem was causing by the UPS.

If it still shut off when plugging in direct to the AC on the wall, I think you need to call Apple support.

5. Spikeanator6982 thread starter macrumors 6502

just to keep anyone who cares updated..

I called the service place they said they ordered a new graphics card for it...

I dont know what about the card would make the computer not want to stay on, but I guess whatever fixes it. It has the 8800

6. Spikeanator6982 thread starter macrumors 6502

Now I am told they put new processors in it..but had to order another part for it..so..more waiting..

7. Spikeanator6982 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok i got my computer back last week..they ended up replacing the powersupply and logic board. has worked good so far.

8. krye macrumors 68000

krye

9. Spikeanator6982 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya..huge pain.. Besides the time and taking it to an Apple service provider..nearest one is a good 3 hours away......(sure..the parts/labor are under warranty..but what about the..idk..$100 in gas to get it fixed Apple)

and..when I got it back.I had to reauthorize my itunes stuff..still need to talk to about about that. I shouldn't have to use up one of my 5 computers bc the ps and logic board went bad.

10. gto47 macrumors newbie