Mac Pro red glow?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chocobavits, Sep 6, 2007.

1. chocobavits macrumors newbie

I got a new mac pro abot a month ago and haven't upgraded anything on it yet. A few days ago I noticed a red glow coming out if the front that I never saw before. I opened up the side and saw that the light was coming from four tiny lights on the top and bottom ram risers. Is this normal? I don't think the open front of an apple product should be glowing an uneven red. It seems uncharacteristic and succpicious.

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Its a Demon Mac, better get an exorcist.
    Or maybe its a mod you did on your mac in the middle of the night while you were sleep walking?

3. Alican macrumors regular

Did you have a power outage when it was switched on?

Try shutting it down normally and unplugging the power cord for a few minutes.

If that doesn;t help you could try removing them and re-seating the RAM (warning, RAM gets very hot)

If the LEDs still show, you could run a hardware test from the install disk

4. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

As Alican said, Remove and Re-seat the RAM,
    Contact Apple, See what they can offer, if only a Month old you got 90 day telephone support anyway
    Worst case is replacment RAM required :eek: :(
    But apple may just replace it for you.
    Check system profiler, see if memory is showing RAM as ok?

5. Alican macrumors regular

Hopefully it won't be damaged by a power outage. But I've read about LEDs that stay on when powering up after an outage, but clear if the machine is shut down properly and the power cord removed for a while. Good point about checking the system profiler. When I had some duff ram, the profiler was showing less than I had installed and there were some lights glowing on the riser

6. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

At the end of the day it's a month old, so a call to apple won't cost owt, RAM's a pain when it goes bad, and it does, sometimes for no reason, but it's always a case of 'i want to get it fixed NOW' and it's bloody frustrating when nothing works and it's still showing faulty, but the worst case is the RAMS damaged and the best case is Apple say 'ok, we will replace it' ;)