Mac Pro Redesign

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kirkbross, Jun 20, 2007.

  1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

    kirkbross

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #1
    Am I the only one unimpressed with the 8-core Mac Pro option and again waiting for an ACTUAL Mac Pro overhaul before spending $3k+ on a new Mac?

    I know it's all about the money and that the iPhone, iPod, iMac and iEverything-besides-Mac-Pro are the focus of Apple's development energy, but just how small is the Pro community?

    That said, I need a new Mac to replace my Dual 867 "loudest computer in the history of the universe" G4, but I feel like a significant mobo / bus / memory redesign is around the corner.

    Should I wait until Leopard is released, with the hope that Apple will unveil* the new Mac Pro then?
     
  2. psychofreak Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #2
    LOADS of people are waiting for Intel's Stoakley Seaburg to be put in Mac Pros.

    Don't forget the neglected Mac Mini...and the iPod hasn't had a big update for ages.
     
  3. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #3
    Wait til they update it. Thats all you can do.
     
  4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

    Wild-Bill

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    bleep
    #4
    No, you're definitely NOT the only one. There are quite a few of us waiting. I, for one, don't even consider the 8 core implementation an "update" - merely a speedbump. I can't justify spending that kind of money on a system with outdated video cards. Spending upwards of $3,000 I want the best. The Radeon x1900XT was released in January 2006, and it is not the best. If they offered the 8800GTX or GTS as a BTO option I would buy tomorrow. But I'm waiting, as many others are.

    There is speculation as to whether or not Apple will do some price cutting in lieu of Intel's planned processor price cuts due on July 29th. The Stoakely-Seaburg motherboard is due out in the third quarter, but no one knows exactly when. Then of course you have Leopard due in October.
     
  5. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #5
    Honestly, I am putting it in the back of my mind. I will look to see whats up. But I am just going to wait for a real refresh. I think August, a year after release seems likely. But who knows.
     
  6. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

    Wild-Bill

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    bleep
    #6
    Hey, I'll race you to the BTO page when it comes out!! :D
     
  7. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
  8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #8
    As far as price cuts, likely not -- maybe simple speed bumps, with RAM/HD/video card tweaks.
     

Share This Page