Mac Pro referb 2.8 8 core or new 2.66 4 core

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigperm, Jul 4, 2009.

1. bigperm macrumors newbie

I am a photographer / designer / art director and am ready to upgrade my work machine to a mac pro. Either one of these options are going to be a huge upgrade from my MacBook Pro 2.2 Intel and iMac Intel.

But I need some help on which one.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FA970LL/A?mco=MjE0NjQ1OA

or

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro?mco=MTE3MDU

The new Mac Pro can handle more Ram, has the faster 512 graphics card, but comes in about $200 more after I factor in the air port wireless and ram upgrades on both options.

My question is, am I better off getting the faster 8 Core power of the refurbished model? I mostly run the Adobe Suite, including Lightroom 2.

Also, is Apple care a good idea on either of these work stations. I have never really had a problem with any of my macs over the years (knocking on wood right now) but 3 years coverage seems really nice.

Oh I should also mention that I like to keep my macs as long as possible. My iMac (the first Intel iMac) that I am replacing now has been doing a great job till a few months past when I upgraded to the Canon 5D Mk II and Lightroom and Photoshop started to get slow.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I usually skip AppleCare now but $250 isn't too bad for a Mac Pro, especially if it covers a display, but doesn't sound like you're getting a display so that doesn't really affect the decision. I'd lean toward no, but its really personal preference. If you're switching, I'd say get it for the phone support. They're pretty good when I've called in the past. But you're not switching, so that doesn't matter either.

I'd go for the refurb 8 core for longevity reasons. Software in the future will hopefully be better and better able to take advantage of multiple processors, so three years from now, you'll have a machine that is still holding its own very well. Higher memory threshold will be a decided advantage down the road as well.

3. bigperm thread starter macrumors newbie

Already have a Cinema Display

I should have mentioned that I already own a 23" Cinema Display.

Thats why I am looking at a Mac Pro and not another iMac.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd recommend getting Applecare for peace of mind; I have it on my MBP. If anything does go wrong, you will save yourself quite a lot of money on repairs. Re the computers, I'd recommend the refurb.

Cheers and good luck

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'd get the refurb. It has two times more cores and faster clock speed (though Nehalems are faster than prev gen Xeons)

6. organicpixels macrumors member

2 things. My partner who is a graphic designer just had his Mac Pro flip out on him and it's only 16 months old. Unfortunately we didn't get Apple Care and we are looking at a new logic board.

As far as the 4 vs 8 cores. I think with Snow leopard coming out, I would lean towardst the 8 core machine. But things like Bus speed and RAM capacity would be varying factors imo. Hope that helps.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd get the 2.66, as all indications seem to point it being faster...

8. bigperm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I think that I am going with the Quad

After reading up on Adobe's lack of commitment on 8 core I think that I'll go for the new Quad Core 2.66. Apple care seems like a solid investment.

Can't wait to pick it up and get back to more work.

Thanks again.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

eBay for the Applecare if you have any questions, here.