Mac Pro Refresh Spring 2010

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rajbonham, Apr 4, 2010.

1. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Yes, yes, I know this has/is being discussed a thousand times, but being new to Mac products, I wanted to hear some opinions on things.

It seems that the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro are both due for updates any moment now. Obviously, the MacBook Pro is much more popular, so the topic has been getting much more attention. Many are speculating that a refresh will occur anywhere within the next few days to weeks. Some are saying it won't because the iPad and MacBook Pro "compete", because they are both portable computing solutions.

In my opinion, the Mac Pro is in an entirely different market, so it would make more sense for it to receive a refresh very, very soon, even with the iPad release just occuring over the weekend. I may be wrong here, but, because the Mac Pro appears to less popular, it would make more sense for a "silent" refresh to happen. I could see this refresh happening as early as this week. Since the MacBook Pro seems to be more popular, I would think they would make more of a formal announcement of a refresh, possibly in May.

Finally, looking at the MacRumors Buyer's Guide, although they both haven't been updated in some time, the current Mac Pro model has been out for much longer. It has been 301 days since the last MacBook Pro refresh, but 398 days since the last Mac Pro refresh. Immediately from those numbers, I'm thinking the Mac Pro update will occur first.

Anyway, just wondering what others are thinking; this is all purely my opinion on things. :)

2. strausd macrumors 68030

I'm not so sure about an update in the next few days, seems a little too early for Apple to do that with the iPad just being released. the tricky thing is that i could see them updating the MBP and MP at the same, but could also see them being updated a month or 2 apart.

3. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

4. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

They are not waiting for a magical date. The darn thing is just not quite ready to announce. So unless you have inside info, it's going to be most likely any one of the next 8-12 Tuesdays like Virtualrain just said.