Mac Pro refresh?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zeldain, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Zeldain macrumors member

What has everyone heard about the next refresh for the Mac Pro? When is it likely to hit?

With the new rumor of the Air already getting an update to Sandy Bridge... will the Mac Pro come sooner than usual?

Thanks for any insight!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I wouldn't imagine it will happen much sooner that August. The pro is usually only refreshed about once every 12-13 months.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The CPUs for Mac Pro (i.e. Sandy Bridges with LGA 1356 and 2011 sockets) won't be out until Q4 2011 so we are looking at late 2011 or early 2012 update.

4. Zeldain thread starter macrumors member

Ah wasn't aware of that... :( I was wondering/hoping that Apple might speed up the refresh/update since dropping the Xserve, but this makes that look unlikely.

5. G4DP macrumors 65816

Given past updates, I would imagine Feb 2012 as the likely next update.

6. Zeldain thread starter macrumors member

See, that's the issue. It's one thing about processor availability, etc... but 18 months between updates?

That's ridiculous to still be paying a premium, for example, for severely outdated graphics card (of which there isn't even an Apple upgrade path from, even if I wanted to let them gouge me for it.)

7. Zeldain thread starter macrumors member

Just curious, especially now with Thunderbolt and the pro applications of it, do we really expect the next Mac Pro refresh not until 2012?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Thunderbolt can be added via PCIe card, no need for a complete refresh. Sooner than later there should be a 3rd party PCIe card that works in a Mac Pro.

9. Zeldain thread starter macrumors member

Not according to CNET via the home page on this very site:

10:25 a.m. (Dong Ngo) : There won't be TB PCIe cards it seems. You'll need a new computer.
    10:34 a.m. (Dong Ngo) : There won't be add-in TB adapters, you'll need a new computer/motherboard that supports TB.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hmm, that is weird. Thanks for the correction then.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

Weird and disappointing. I'd been looking forward to adding in TB to my MP. I suspect a very minor refresh in the next few weeks. I'll bet MP sales drop off as people wait for the TB enabled models.

12. G4DP macrumors 65816

So Intel will build Drop in cards for their customers but not the general public?

That will go down well.

You should only need another computer/motherboard if you only have 1 x 16PCI slot or something. As the Mac Pro from 2008 onwards has more than 1 it shouldn't be a problem for many.

13. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

No drop-in card for lightpeak is hugely disappointing. That means all existing hundreds of millions of PCs can't upgrade to lightpeak.

14. Zeldain thread starter macrumors member

15. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

16. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

17. Zeldain thread starter macrumors member

The ones that are scheduled for release on Q4 will be around $2000 just for the CPU. Apple will not use those.

18. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Where did you get that price?

If Apple still wants to call the Mac Pro a "workstation", they have to use workstation grade processors, which are XEONs, and as already said before, those are scheduled for Q4.

Suitable processors have 2 to 8 cores and the mid stream processors (4 to 6 cores) won't be any more expensive than current 4 or 6 core processors.
    The desktop processors aren't more expensive either, so why would the XEONs?

19. Zeldain thread starter macrumors member

Well, the chips released already are Xeons

http://www.servethehome.com/intel-xeon-e3-1220-sandy-bridge-benchmarks-review/

I don't claim to have all of the knowledge about why they would or wouldn't wait for the Q4 Xeons... I guess that's why I'm still posting here. :) I just don't see a 20 month release cycle for the Mac Pro particularly when something as big for the Pro market for Thunderbolt has hit.

20. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I don't know if I buy this. Thunderbolt is just another bus protocol. If anything, someone could implement a bridge between PCIe and Thunderbolt, much like in the past they had PCI to ISA bridges, PCIe to PCI bridges, and so on.

The only reason I could think of that this wouldn't happen is if Intel or Apple decide not to license any add-in Thunderbolt host adapters. And if they do this, they suck big time.

Never underestimate ingenuity. In particular, ingenuity of Chinese companies who can implement what western companies won't and make millions selling $5 cards. (I've yet to see things like USB to IDE adapters and firewire SCSI cards from western companies!)

21. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Those chips are SP versions only and have only up to 4 cores.

The suitable chips for the Mac Pro are socket R (LGA 2011) processors, with both SP and MP versions and up to 8 cores.

Why would Apple release a new 4-core only Mac Pro and half a year later release a completely new machine with new internals again to finally utilise socket R chips? That would be far from cost effective and therefore highly unlikely.

22. Firechild macrumors newbie

...Those cheapo CPU´s are not attended for MacPro´s...
    Feel free to do some research before posting.

23. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Latest reports suggest that there will be socket B2 (LGA 1356) as well.