Mac Pro - refurb or new?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by spacetycho, Feb 4, 2009.

1. spacetycho macrumors member

spacetycho

I have decided to pruchase a current model mac pro 8-core 3.0.

I am upgrading my DAW to PT 8, Digi 003 rack+ and Command 8. I know there are 'new' Mac Pro models coming soon, but there will be a ramp up time for compatiblity with PT and possible bugs with the computer itself. I'm not waiting another 6+ months.

So, the dilema: refurb or new?

Mac Pro specs - 8 core 3.0, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, wireless mouse, Applecare

refurb from :apple:- $3600.77 w/ tax
    new from :apple:- $3778.62 w/ tax (this includes a discount that I get through my employer)

Only $177.85 difference for a new one! I also need about 8GB RAM but won't buy from apple because it's too much.

Any suggestions on the computer and RAM? I have confidence in the refurb but a new one is not that much more.

Cheers-

2. POLOgt macrumors member

POLOgt

3. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

4. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

I just saw the refurb was sold. So now what? I will be pruchasing this month for sure. I guess it will just work itself out. :eek:

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you have to purchase this month, don't waste your money on new.

6. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

Regardless of what I do it won't be a waste of money. I am not concerned about the 'new' models coming out. The current model is not outdated by any means. I will never max it out. In a few years I'll upgrade if I need/want to.

I just want a machine that's covered by a warranty.

7. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Then new or refurb doesn't matter. Both have the Apple warranty.

Refurb saves money and loses the fancy box.

8. spacetycho thread starter macrumors member

spacetycho

That fancy box may fetch me more $ when I sell the computer in the future. Plus there is something to opening that new box. It's like getting laid for the first time all over again.

9. Dale Gribble macrumors newbie

You can always normally grab a Mac Pro box off ebay for peanuts, just depends whether the magical feeling of opening a black box is really worth that much to you.

I recently bought a refurbished Mac Pro, came with not even the tiniest of scratches anywhere, 100% perfect condition, the only difference was the box. I definitely say refurb if you can.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

New or refurb would serve you well. :) I don't think the box would be worth it in terms of increased resale value IMO.