Mac Pro refurbished - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by agent 86, Mar 30, 2010.

1. agent 86 macrumors member

I just noticed a refurbished Mac Pro Quad-Core Nehalem 2.66 on Apple Australia site for $2,149 (full price for same specs is Au$ 3,599.00).

I bought it. Please tell me (if) I have done the right thing!

BTW, with my track record, this also means that new Mac Pros will be announced tomorrow.

2. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I think you did the right thing in ordering the pro...you needed it saved a lot of money so its a good thing
    don't worry if they launch new ones...just sell this one and buy that :cool:

3. agent 86 thread starter macrumors member

:)

Thanks. Pretty much exactly what I was thinking (just needed someone to confirm it for me).

Any advice on how to tell my wife?

4. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

what exectly are u telling your wife ..that u bought a computer , a Mac or a refurb ?

5. agent 86 thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'm going to say that I just saved us nearly $1,500.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Tell her the computer was $3599, but they only charged you $2149 :D

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

8. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

great price, if you do tell her, make sure your not in the kitchen ( sharp knifes lol ) and buttering her up with stuff never hurts ;)

9. jayjohnson macrumors newbie

How the heck did you get a refurb Mac Pro from the Aussie Apple site? I've been checking for months and they're NEVER on there!

10. Sebastianmonty macrumors newbie

You could tell her nothing. You could sell it to me and make $100. HAHA

Honestly I am so jealous when the 4 cores go and the 8 cores go in the Refurb store.
    The refurb store sells an 8 core for A$2,798.00 http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/23550
    as opposed to
    $4799
    http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro?mco=MTAyNTQzNDQ

It is therefore silly to buy new if you can get refurb. I mean, a refurb is as good as new, has the same warranty and you can buy Applecare for it. Better yet, if you were able to buy 2 or 3 you could ebay them for more than what you paid.

11. Sebastianmonty macrumors newbie

It's not easy. Mactalk.com.au announce them when they happen but it's rare. I mean they wouldn't sell many Mac Pros in Australia and under 5% would have problems that can't be fixed quickly and therefore they go on every few months with probably 5 to sell and then...gone.

12. jayjohnson macrumors newbie

lol! He probably got the only refurbished Mac Pro in the country!

13. P2 Shooter macrumors newbie

Check out this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=876545

I was in your boat but I now have a 2.26ghz octo for an amazing A$2800, purchased last week from the Refurb site (41% off!). The tactics recommended to me here seemed to work, and a few are flying off of the shelves at the moment (which is probably due to the refresh coming soon).

A word of warning though, some of the prices do seem to be a bit dear, which could be due to the prices falling across the board back in November. It's all explained in the thread above so take a look.

Another good site is www.refurb.me which shows you what is available now, and what has recently been sold. It gives you an idea of what is floating around.

Good Luck!!!

14. lordonuthin macrumors 6502

lordonuthin

I'll have a slightly used Nehalem 2.66 octo for sale as soon as the Westmere's come out :D I should have looked for a refurb when I bought this... :eek:

15. jayjohnson macrumors newbie

Thanks. The MP's have all sold out now though...it might mean there's an update due in the near future...hopefully

16. jaforres macrumors member

You did the right thing. Enjoy the new mac. Now the question is.... should I hit up the refurb store :)

17. agent 86 thread starter macrumors member

:D

Thanks. I am.

Keep an eye on it but sometimes it's a bit weird. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this refurb more than the same specced Mac at full price?

18. jayjohnson macrumors newbie

Yeah I noticed that too! WTF is with that??? I thought the refurb macs were supposed to be cheaper than the brand new ones? This is seriously making me considering getting an i7 PC with Win7!

19. Sebastianmonty macrumors newbie

I assume some strange fellow controls the pricing. Sometimes the pricing is stupid and other times(rare) great.
    I just made that mac on the refurb store for $5200(which is still a rip off) and it's brand new.
    I hate when they do that. They made a 2.66Ghz 17inch MBP $200 more than the 2.8Ghz. Hello?? Anyone home??

20. breathesrain macrumors regular

I think it's a BTO model...among other things, it has two Superdrives.