MAC PRO-remapping F3 and F4 keys

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jsherm, Jul 13, 2010.

1. jsherm macrumors newbie

New Mac Pro Quad Core Xeon. I want to remap the function keys: F3 (Expose) and F4 (Dashboard). Tried to do so in Expose and Spaces System Pref and in Keyboard/keyboard shortcuts System pref. I Mapped Exp and Dshbrd onto other keys (eg. F18, F19) but the F3 and F4 keys (dedicated Expose and Dashboard keys with icons) retain their original functions - they don't change to blanks. Is there a way to remap or disable those dedicate funtion keys when in an application like PS or AE. I can't seem to be able to change those particularly dedicated keys to work in the applications like other Function keys.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could check the option "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" in System Preferences>Keyboard. That way you would have to hold down the Fn key to activate special functions such as Exposé.

3. jsherm thread starter macrumors newbie

BINGO! D'oh! simple. Thanks for the tip. It's a new keyboard for me - my last desktop was a G4(!) so I wasn't aware there was a fn key on the Mac Pro keyboard. (There's one, of course, on my MBP.) Thanks again - that should do it.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

5. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Where is this located?

I was in system preferences/keyboard and I didn't see any option to select, all I saw was gibberish like keyboard speed rate and change keyboard type. Or maybe it is because I am using a PC keyboard?

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It's probably because of the keyboard you are using.

Attached Files: