Mac Pro (resonating) issue

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by viltsu, Feb 16, 2008.

1. viltsu macrumors member

Ok guys. I got this beast yesterday. I installed OWC-ram and Samsung F1. Everything´s fine, except the resonating every 5 seconds and, of course, the booting after waking up. I think that the resonation comes from the PSU, not for sure. It´s very irritating. What can I do? I don´t want to open that PSU by myself because that´ll avoid the warranty. Need to call Apple? The box really was taking hits, it was far from nice, but I can´t believe that the computer can take hits, because it is so well packed inside.

Well, any other have this resonation-problem?

2. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

The resonating noise, you sure it's not the Samsung? Does it happen once every 10-15 mintues?

3. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Boot off the install DVD without the drive(s) in the machine?

That would eliminate the drive(s) as a possible source.

4. viltsu thread starter macrumors member

No, it´s happening once every 5-10 seconds. So are the fans, they´re getting more rpm once every 5-7 seconds. That´s really weird.

I´ll do that. I´ll come here to report then.

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Mine does that from time to time. Give it a sharp tap on the top.

6. abmet macrumors newbie

I had a resonating issue on my 2 x 2.66 Dual-Core. When it would happen, if touched the side or top of the machine it would stop. I took out each drive, tightened the screws that held them to the drive cage, and reinserted them. Haven't had the problem since (probably a year ago). Since you think it is the PSU, not sure if this is any help, but wanted to let you know.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd say it is on a hard surface and stick a cheap $1 neoprene mouse pad, or some other resonance damping produce under the feet.

I hate the resonating beat frequencies.

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I will give that a try .. thanks .. :)