Mac Pro Running External Monitors?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kdum8, May 16, 2007.

1. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

What is the maximum number of external monitors a mac pro can simultaneously run? Could I have three indepedent screens all running from the same machine?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

As many as you can install video cards for. Assuming you are not using 30" monitors, you can run 2 monitors per card.

Yes, with the addition of one video card beside the stock one.

3. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Thanks CanadaRAM. Would each of those screens be independent, like having 3 desktops or just duplicates of each other?

4. JeffreyM macrumors newbie

You can do either.

Jeffrey

5. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Sure can, I'm doing that right now.

6. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I assuming that each screen is independent not a duplicate slughead, but if you don't mind me asking, what do you use all that screen space for?

7. TheFuzz macrumors regular

you can have it either way; you just choose what you want in system preferences.

it's nice when using after effects/photoshop/fcp to keep all of your palettes/timelines on one monitor and your canvas on another.

8. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I bought my X1900XT separately (to save time and money) so I had the extra video card anyways.

One monitor is an HDTV I have hooked up via HDMI. I use that to preview video (when I do editing) and watch movies and TV shows sometimes. I used to have RSS and stocks constantly being cycled but I have no need for that anymore.

The other two monitors are just a large workspace. When doing web work (what I mainly do these days), it makes it much easier to have FTP/web browser on one monitor and the code on the other.

I've been using multiple monitors for so long it's hard to go back.

EDIT:
    Here's a screen shot from monitors control pane, the resolutions are 1280x960 (x2) and 1280x720:
    [​IMG]

Since the TV is usually off, I keep it tucked away up there to keep windows from ending up on that screen where I can't see them.