mac pro running slow and apps acting odd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acutshall, Mar 13, 2010.

1. acutshall macrumors newbie

I have had my MP for about 6 months. I noticed a couple of weeks ago I noticed that when I was browsing using firefox that the app would freeze. I emptied the cache and restarted. Then I noticed that a lot of apps would not respond to my mouse clicks, so I ran repair permissions which did not help much.
    I started to suspect my wacom tablet, so I downloaded their newest software. It seemed to help until I ran repair permissions and it no longer would work. I installed software again and it started working again however sometimes it does not recognize the hardware.
    Next the finder started opening up all my files or expanding them all on its on. Last but not least my computer runs extremely slow

Called a rep which suggested that I should not run repair permissions regularly. Is there something that I can check or software I can run.

thx

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

What OS are you running? Are all the updates (firmware and software) applied? Does disconnecting any connected USB/Firewire devices change anything? How much hard drive space do you have remaining, how much RAM came with your system or did you add any aftermarket? Launch Activity Monitor, sort your processes by CPU. You should also Safe Boot and see if you have the same slowness. Check article HT1564 if you want to read more about what Safe Boot actually does. I've given you a list of questions and stuff to try, report back.

3. Gold89 macrumors 6502

First thing launch (as said) run activity monitor and arrange by CPU to check if there are any rogue processes. :)