Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
So I recently decided it was time to switch my GTX 960 to a Sapphire Radeon RX580 in my Mac Pro 5,1. The upgrade went smoothly, and decided to stress test it. Left it for a few hours, shut the test off and that’s when I noticed something off.

The GPU intensive load was gone and the RX580 (at now 31c) was still going at full blast with the fans. I was doing this stress test in Windows so I switched over to MacOS High Sierra to see if it would occur.

Loaded up Unigine Valley, stopped it after the fans revved up, andddd same issue.

Is this common with the RX580? I haven’t found anything on it besides talk of the PSU/PCI fans. However this has to do with just the fans on the GPU itself, which I also have no control over. Thanks!

Update: Installed MacOS Mojave, same issue persists

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So I recently decided it was time to switch my GTX 960 to a Sapphire Radeon RX580 in my Mac Pro 5,1. The upgrade went smoothly, and decided to stress test it. Left it for a few hours, shut the test off and that’s when I noticed something off.

The GPU intensive load was gone and the RX580 (at now 31c) was still going at full blast with the fans. I was doing this stress test in Windows so I switched over to MacOS High Sierra to see if it would occur.

Loaded up Unigine Valley, stopped it after the fans revved up, andddd same issue.

Is this common with the RX580? I haven’t found anything on it besides talk of the PSU/PCI fans. However this has to do with just the fans on the GPU itself, which I also have no control over. Thanks!

Update: Installed MacOS Mojave, same issue persists

New card? Mining card?

If that's a used mining card, I suspect there is something wrong in the customised firmware.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
The fans usually only kick in when working hard with some graphically intensive task.
General desktop usage there is no fan activity.

Reactions: crjackson2134

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
When you restart the computer the fans should return to idle with the load gone. Mine stays fast after a test too, its a mvc one, but it returns to normal on a restart. I know thats not great, but nothing i do in normal usage puts much of a load on it.

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
New card? Mining card?

If that's a used mining card, I suspect there is something wrong in the customised firmware.
It was a mining card, I was informed the firmware was set back to the original before shipping. However, that could be wrong...
[automerge]1571407160[/automerge]
The fans usually only kick in when working hard with some graphically intensive task.
General desktop usage there is no fan activity.

My issue is that if I do a graphical intensive task, stop that task, and return to normal usage. The fans will not go down unless I restart the Mac Pro

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
When you restart the computer the fans should return to idle with the load gone. Mine stays fast after a test too, its a mvc one, but it returns to normal on a restart. I know thats not great, but nothing i do in normal usage puts much of a load on it.

They do indeed do that, my issue is that I go back and forth between tasks. From graphically intense ones to normal usage. Restarting every time the fans get ramped up is too inconvenient.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
IModFrenzy

Shut down - do the NVRAM reset THREE times consecutively..

Also check Techpowerup https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ for EXACT bios for your card and use AtiWinFlash to flash it to your card.

Of course first. dump your present ROM just in case and possibly save it as fast-fans sapph-RX580.ROM etc.

Reactions: iModFrenzy

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
IModFrenzy

Shut down - do the NVRAM reset THREE times consecutively..

Also check Techpowerup https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ for EXACT bios for your card and use AtiWinFlash to flash it to your card.

Of course first. dump your present ROM just in case and possibly save it as fast-fans sapph-RX580.ROM etc.

This was actually the solution, flashing a new vBios from that collection. Fan speeds are all correct now, revving down after intensive work in Windows 10 and MacOS Mojave.

Reactions: h9826790

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
This was actually the solution, flashing a new vBios from that collection. Fan speeds are all correct now, revving down after intensive work in Windows 10 and MacOS Mojave.
Well I could not do that because my card is an MVC one with bootscreen...

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
macguru9999

Did you try to Reset NVRM three times CONSECUTIVELY ( shut down first ) ? = Keep holding the keyboard keys until you hear the Happy Mac chimes 3 times.

Also, is your MVC RX 580 one of the Dual Bios models ?

Have you contacted MVC re: this fan problem ?

Reactions: macguru9999

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Did a reset & I just tested the fans and they did settle after a slight speed up during a test. I think if I was a gamer I would use a different fan arrangement (3 low speed fans/PC/Nvidia2060or better) and maybe isolate the GPU from the "play" area. Overall I am satisfied with this card (MVC 580) and i'm confident ill be able to sell it when i move on, I dont feel that its worth stressing about the fan noise because I am not a gamer and dont know what is normal anyways. I will certainly get a multi fan sapphire nvidia 5700 when I move to catalina 15.x next year, and just slip in a flashed card when i need a bootscreen. As I type this the fans dont make any sound at all.

ALSO, I have a couple, and have flashed several more NVIDIA GTX 680 cards which i like for general use and they seem to make the macpro pci and ps case fans rev up a little from time to time forcing me to use 'macs fan control' with my spare mac pro. Interesting that this never happens to the case fans with the amd card..... (does anyone know why ??)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.