Mac Pro - SATA 600 HD's & 20 Apple Monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MrLatte23, Nov 24, 2010.

1. MrLatte23 macrumors regular

Trying to pick internal HD's for a new Mac Pro. Do the SATA 600's give me anything over the SATA 300's. Probably going to set-up an internal software RAID of two or three, till I can afford a decent external RAID. Does the internal data transfer speed max out at some level that buying a SATA 600 drive would be a waste?

Also, I have two existing 20" Apple LCD Monitors, probably 5 years old that i need to use. Is the appropriate adapter simply the MDP to DVI connector? They're currently connected to a G5.

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

A single mechanical hard drive can barely even saturate the SATA I (1.5Gb/s) bus so buying a SATA 6Gb/s HD is waste of money. Besides, Mac Pro's internal SATA ports are 3Gb/s

What's the input of the Apple monitor?

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Mac Pros don't have SATA 600 ports anyway, you're stuck on SATA II (ie: 300). So basically no, you don't want 600 drives.

The 20" ACDs will be DVI (this is assuming they aren't the acrylic models), so you'll need to get 2x DVI ports on the Mac Pro. The 2010 machines have 1x DVI onboard, and then you'll need the Apple MDP to DVI adapter for the other (the 5770 and 5870 have 2x MDP ports).

4. MrLatte23 thread starter macrumors regular

Cheaper MDP > DVI adapter will work?

So a $29 MDP to DVI adapter will do? They're aluminum monitors, 20". I forgot they come with 3 ports. And I'll pass on the SATA600 HD's.

Thanks.

5. MrLatte23 thread starter macrumors regular

Dvi

I believe it's just DVI, though I don't know if it's some "Apple" special flavor of DVI. I'm hoping the simple, $29 USD, Mini Displayport to DVI adapter will do. Hopefully I won't need one of the $99 adapters.

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Apple being Apple they did use their own DVI for a while called Apple Display Connector :rolleyes: , but in 04 they switched to regular DVI for the Cinema Displays IRC.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Yes, the aluminium ACDs just need the standard MDP to DVI adapter. It's not an Apple special DVI, so is universal.

9. dyn macrumors 68030

In addition: the reason for this is because of the difference in passive and active adapters. If you use passive adapters you can only use 2 monitors, with an active adapter this will be 3. The official Apple adapter is only passive which is why you can't use more than 2 monitors when using it. In that regard, it's better to use passive adapters.