Mac Pro, second hard drive data read extremely high

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iimpact, Feb 1, 2011.

1. iimpact macrumors newbie

Hello, for the past few weeks something really weird has been happening with my second hard drive.

Right now, I have two individual hard drives installed. One is for OS X and the other is for Windows when I use bootcamp.

The problem is, whenever I am in OS X the read activity on the Windows drive is extremely high (6.5MB +) according to Activity Monitor. It is sort of loud and seems like it is doing a lot of work. This has never happened before and just started recently. The only way I can get rid of the annoying "read" sound is to unmount the drive when I am in OS X. Though, the weird thing is that whenever I am am using that drive (booted into Windows), the read activity is normal; according to usage.

I am assuming it is something maybe installed within OS X that is causing to read the Windows drive, but I can't seem to find out what it is.

Any tips / ideas would be awesome. Thanks

2. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

3. SmilesLots macrumors regular

SmilesLots

4. simsaladimbamba

How could a Windows virus run in Mac OS X and cause such trouble?

OP, does it also happen when you have no applications besides Finder and Activity Monitor running?
    Do you have a VM running accessing the Windows partition?

5. cutterman macrumors regular

Open activity monitor and click on the top of the 'CPU' column to sort processes by CPU activity (descending order). While your system is thrashing the drive in question but otherwise idle, post a screenshot of this.

6. iimpact thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys for the info.

I'll reply back when I get home from work.

7. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This sounds awfully close to the MDS process running haywire on the bootcamp partition, but post the screenshot to be sure. If it is MDS, simply add the bootcamp partition to your spotlight privacy settings and all should be well again.

8. iimpact thread starter macrumors newbie

9. iimpact thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, looking in the activity monitor, it might be tuxera ?

10. cutterman macrumors regular

Try disabling the Tuxera NTFS file system driver and see if that helps. (Go to Tuxera NTFS pref pane in System Preferences)

11. iimpact thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that was it .

Thanks for all the help..

Im just going to uninstall it all together. Any recommendations for a ntfs read/write method?