Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WSU-Architect

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
My mac pro just starting assigning its own ip, 169....something or other, and now I cannot access the internet. I searched and read the entire giant thread about this issue, and tried all the proposed fixes, and none of them work.

I have a linksys router plugged into the wall, from which I have an ethernet cord plugged in the back (I dont have a wirelss card in the mac pro). The router in my room isnt connected to the modem, it picks up the wireless sent from the downstairs router which is (basically its a giant wireless card externally). THe internet works fine for every other computer in the house. I rebooted in Windows Vista Business and did all the fancy ipconfig commands I could, that didnt work either. Does anyone know any other solution to this issue. I would be pretty pissed if my internet just randomly bricked on my $4000 machine.

Thanks in advance for any help!

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Is that the only box hooked into the upstairs router? Have you plugged any other computers in it to work? Make sure your computer is plugged into one of the LAN ports and not the WAN port. Also, are you positive you set up both routers correctly to extend the wireless?

WSU-Architect

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Is that the only box hooked into the upstairs router? Have you plugged any other computers in it to work? Make sure your computer is plugged into one of the LAN ports and not the WAN port. Also, are you positive you set up both routers correctly to extend the wireless?

Yes its the only computer hooked up to it. Yes its plugged into the LAN port, and yes I know I properly extended the wireless. It was working perfectly for over 3 months until yesterday.

I don't have my laptop at home so I haven't tried plugging in another computer however.

WSU-Architect

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Well I fixed the problem. Leopard bricked the firmware on the router, it wouldn't work on my PC downstairs either. I set up a static ip on the windows machine, re-cloned the mac address, and reset the firmware to factory defaults. What a pain.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Linksys routers go "deaf" once every few months. It's a bug in their embedded software or something as it has always happened to me with all manner of devices plugged in (XP PC, Xbox 360, wireless to PS3, iMac, laptops...).

I have one of the pre-Linux linksys routers, and it does that. Prolly the same model group as the poster's.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Linksys routers go "deaf" once every few months. It's a bug in their embedded software or something as it has always happened to me with all manner of devices plugged in (XP PC, Xbox 360, wireless to PS3, iMac, laptops...).

I have one of the pre-Linux linksys routers, and it does that. Prolly the same model group as the poster's.

Hmm, mine are of the Linux variety and I have no issues with the whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.