Mac Pro sending emails I don't know about!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joegomolski, Nov 14, 2008.

1. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

This week I had an email bounce back to me.

The probllem is that I did not send the email. My send folder does not list that email either.

I am pretty sure that someone is using my mac pro to send emails from me to thrid parties.

All three of my credit card accounts have unauthorized charges on them. So my credit card info was compromised, and all records are protected by 1Password.

Any suggestions on how I might prevent this from occuring in the future?

I need a little this one.

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I hope you've already changed all your passwords.

3. joegomolski thread starter macrumors 6502

joegomolski

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Just because you are getting mails bounce back, does not mean they are being sent from your machine. I could easily set up an email account on my system with your email address as the reply address. Any message that I sent would bounce back to you if it got bounced by the recipient.

You did the right thing checking your accounts and changing your passwords

5. Bill P. macrumors regular

Hmm, interesting thread. I’m not getting mail bounced, but occasionally get a piece of junk mail from MYSELF (my own email address). How can this be done and how can I check it out??

Thanks!

Bill

6. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

change all of your passwords and email addresses and passowords for email too.

also change your 'secret question' answers too

7. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

It is extremely easy to fake the sender and make it appear from yourself, and to also change the reply-to field. No one has been on your Mac Pro, someone has gotten your password information, likely miles away.