Mac Pro Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mac-HD, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Mac-HD macrumors member

This is my very 1st post here. I am new to just about anything a Mac has to do with. Have never even touched one!

I build my own PC's. A big time user of Adobe Pro / AE. Just finished a 1-hour long movie using my Canon GL2.

Now I want to switch to a mac pro and FCP as I am going toward HD (Sony EX1). Looking at a 2.8 GHz with 4 GB RAM.

HDD setup is where I need some help. Have been to many related posts already, but didn't quite get what I am looking for.

Here is the basic issue. My Mac will be a dedicated video editing machine. I am planning to do backups seperately on external drives. So data backup is not that critical.

With this in mind, I want HDD's that will perform the following operations: 1. OS / Apps 2. Scratch 3. Video files. I am looking at 4 750GB or 1 TB drives for No. 2 and 3 (2 each). I don't know how FCP works, but I am sure like Adobe, it also requires some scratch space.

The OS HDD can be a single HDD. I don't care. However, speed is very critical for the scratch and the video file HDD. Would like to have them as RAID 0 (strip) setup. I rather not spend money on the expensive RAID card from apple. So, Software RAID will be preferred if it works.

The question is - Can I have 2 750 GB HDD's as RAID(0) for scratch storage and the other 2 as RAID(0) for video files. This will keep the two sets of files on physically different HDD's and make them 2 times faster. The 5th drive (original 320 GB) can be used for OS, etc.. I am hoping that I can use one of the hidden SATA socket for the 5th (OS) drive and one for an external eSATA drive for backup (using Newtech cable.)

Will my setup work? If not, how to go about achieving this.

I'll be ordering my Mac Pro within a week. Also, based on what I've read, I believe I should go for the 512MB video card as that will speed up the Motion and other programs.

2. jeffmc macrumors 6502

3. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I have a machine coming with 2 SAS drives on a Mac RAID card. Do you know if I can add internal SATA drives (in other words can I mix drives) ?

4. Mac-HD thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

To clarify:
    1. Use the 4 bays for the 750 GB HDDs and create two independent sets of Raid(0) drives by using the OS.
    2. Use one hidden SATA connection to run the OS drive. Put the driive in the unused 3.5" bay.
    3. Use the other SATA cable (using Newertech's cable) to hook up the eSATA drive for external back up.

Did I get it right?