Mac Pro - Shipping delay because of memory?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SnakeOiler, Mar 9, 2009.

1. SnakeOiler Guest

I ordered a mac pro with 16Gb. Ship date says March 24th. Don't really care how long it takes, I am excited though. Some people are getting stock machines now.

What gives? I work for an electronics manufacturer. When we release a new product, we ramp up on everything to meet demand. Manuals, DVDs, PCBs, people, all the electronics to build the hardware we produce (ram included) are purchased/produced in massive amounts to meet demand. And we do.

Memory on backorder is a lame excuse for a company like Apple. What is the real story for the delay? Are there cooling or stability issues with 16Gb+ of ram? Seems more likely than backorder to me.

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

16gb? That's a bad number. I'd cancel and reorder with stock ram, then buy 3rd party from OWC, go for 12gb/24gb.

3. SnakeOiler thread starter Guest

Riiiight, that explains it.

4. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

The 4gb DDR3 sticks are delayed, anyways multiples of 3 perform better.

5. SnakeOiler thread starter Guest

Delayed due to what? Were the original shipment eaten by monkeys or something?

Why do multiples of three perform better?

I am getting 16Gb, 8x2gb sticks, according to Apple. What do 4gb sticks have to do with that?

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

7. SnakeOiler thread starter Guest

...And turbos make engines go faster...

How, in the Apple architecture, do multiples of 3 make performance better. If you don't know, its ok.

8. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Has nothing to do with Apple architecture, it's Intel's memory controller on the Nehalem family..

9. SnakeOiler thread starter Guest

Hate to be a jerk but, without out explaining yourself you sound like you have no idea what you are talking about. I understand the spec quite well I fail to see how there will be any performance difference between 12 and 16 gb. 24 is not an option from Apple.

And it has nothing to do with my original question

10. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Triple-Channel-DDR3-with-the-Core-i7/?page=6

And to answer your question, Apple is slow? Shrugs..

11. eddietr macrumors 6502a

He was offering you a suggestion on how to improve the performance of your new machine. Is that such a bad thing?

Well, apparently you don't understand the spec that well.

In fact, even Apple disagrees with you. You'll notice when they wanted to demonstrate the improved memory bandwidth on the new MPs, they used 6GB. Why do you think they chose that number? :)

Again, I think the helpful suggestion was that getting 24GB from OWC or some other source would be a better value (and better performance) than 16GB from Apple.

If you're getting 2GB sticks, I have no idea why your order is delayed. Are you sure it's not something else you customized?

And if in fact it is the RAM, and if you're in a hurry, just change the order to the base RAM and order RAM from somewhere else. It's not that hard and you'll probably even save some money.

12. SnakeOiler thread starter Guest

Have a link? Some evidence. Your thoughts are not what the thread is about.

I am buying my ram from Apple. If I wanted to go cheapazz i would got another pc box. Out of stock makes no sense.

13. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Attached from apple.com.

Notice they used 8GB in the older model and 6GB with the Nehalem in the comparison. Others have posted explanations why this is the case. You might read them if you are truly interested. See post #10.

I know my next MP will have 12GB.

As for "out of stock makes no sense", I don't know how to argue with that logic. :)

14. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Oops, forgot the attachment....

Attached Files:

15. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Insanity

Can we please stop spreading false info about how tri-channel RAM works?

6GB (3x2GB) will operate in tri-channel mode. Yay.
    8GB (4x2GB) will operate 6GB in tri-channel mode, and the other 2GB in dual-channel mode.

The extra RAM that is not in a multiple of 3 will be slower than the rest, but it is still helping.

16. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Actually, the 4th would be in single channel mode (which is quite a bit slower than double or triple obviously)

But the interesting thing is that results for 4x2 (one triple + one single) are apparently no better than 2x4 (double). For example in this set of tests (assuming of course you're using all the RAM):

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=634&type=expert&pid=12

17. cmaier macrumors G3

Nonetheless, if you are using 16GB you're much better off taking the hit on 4GB single-channel than on not having the extra 4GB and having to swap.

18. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Right, I see what you are saying. But what the tests I've read seem to indicate is that when hitting all 4, accesses to all 4 are slower overall, not just accesses to the last one. At least in the benchmarks.

I'll have to play with it more when I get one this summer.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It looks like the 2 gig sticks are the reason for the hold-up.

If you configure a MP w 6GB ram ( 6X1) it ships within 24 hrs.
    If you configure it any way that has 2GB sticks it goes up to 2-3 weeks.

8 GB (4X2) 2-3 weeks
    12 GB (6X2) 2-3 weeks
    16GB (8X2) 2-3 weeks
    32 GB (8X4) 5-7 days

20. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I'm not sure why anyone would buy RAM from Apple for a MP... one of the key benefits of a MP is that it's user upgradeable... take advantage of that! You can buy top shelf high performance ram that will run at lower latency with life-time warranties from industry leading memory companies like Corsair, OCZ, etc. Why buy crap RAM at inflated prices from Apple? Just because it's sold through Apple doesn't mean its good or even made by Apple.

21. gilroykilroy macrumors newbie

I did it because there is no sense in throwing out 1Gb DIMMs to replace them with 2Gb DIMMs. Thus the 8Gb version made the most sense to order (I will probably add 2 more once the machine arrives.)

Any extra 3 weeks (considering this machine wasn't even rumored to be released until the 3/24 when mine is actually scheduled to be shipped) really doesn't matter much.

Also, whether or not Apple RAM is "crap" or not, it is still OEM RAM and under *their* warranty. If it fails I bring it to the Apple Store and get it replaced. The same cannot be said with 3rd party RAM.

22. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

OWC RAM has lifetime warranty.

23. Igantius macrumors 65816

In the UK, if I - for sake of argument - wanted to have the base quad model to have 3x2GB RAM instead of 3x1GB, getting it third-party would be £121.89. There might be cheaper places, can't say I've exhausted every avenue, but I've had a quick look at a few places and this prices was quoted from my preferred supplier.

When buying the MP, Apple charges £120 - or if like me, you can buy from the HE Store - it charges £100 (and a few pence).

With the third-party route, I would obviously have the 3x1GB sticks but I was rather pleasantly suprised when costing this up.

24. SnakeOiler thread starter Guest

I have a budget that dictates all is purchased from Apple. Besides Apple and I have been customers of one another for 30 years (google videoterm). No reason at all to use a third party. The time wasted on the third party vendor makes it a break even or a loss for me.