Mac Pro shut down problems and weird disk permissions...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JesterJJZ, Sep 17, 2009.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Hey everyone I have a small concern with my Mac Pro First Gen 2.66 w/16gig running 10.5.8.

I tried shutting it down last night and it wouldn't. I don't shut it down often but it was acting weird like not letting me eject external drives and such, even after any associated programs were closed. I wanted to shut it down for the night. Shut down wouldn't do anything and I kept getting the logout timeout box telling me that a program wouldn't close, like Safari or Mail. At this point any open programs would lock up and not even force quit. Finder eventually stopped working as well. So I didn't seem to have any other options but a hard shut down. So I held down the power button and it went off...kinda. It seemed as though I simple forced it into sleep mode. The power light didn't stay off, it faintly dimmed in and out as if it was sleeping. When I turned it on today I simply hit the spacebar and it turned on, confirming it never shut off before. When it came back on I had nothing open, not even the finder. I had to open the finder manually and it came on.

Also when I try repaining permissions, something I alway do when any issues arise, I got some weird warning. I've attached a screenshot.

No matter how many times I try repairing permissions I have a ton of stuff pop up and these warnings. Other than the shut down problem the system seems to be fine. Any thoughts as to what is happening?

Thanks everyone.

Attached Files:

2. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

"Messages You Can Safely Ignore"...that's kinda unsettling. What's the cause regardless?

That doesn't explain why my Mac won't shut down properly.

3. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Many of my programs are randomly crashing now. Any thoughts?

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The warnings occur because Disk Utility does not account for the updates applied to those particular applications when it checks against its own database of expected permissions.

As far as your issue with shutting down is concerned, and with the apps now unexpectedly quitting there is something pretty serious going on with the system, which could possibly require reinstalling said applications or the OS itself. You can also try safe booting the system, which disables certain login and startup items which could be contributing to or directly causing the issue. Safe booting does disable some functionality such as graphics-intensive processes as well as the AirPort card if your Mac Pro has one. If your computer shuts down normally in Safe Boot, the first places to look would be in Accounts preferences->Login Items, and also in /Library/StartupItems. If it still has issues that would suggest a reinstall is the way to go...