Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hknatm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I am having a problem with shutting down the mac. Both legacy windows and HS restarting the machine when i press shutdown. Then second time after reboot i press it shutdowns. Every single time i had this. Any idea?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
In power settings in macOS there's a checkbox for automatically restarting in case of a power outage. Try toggling that off and see if anything changes. Don't know why, but maybe the machine thinks the shutdown is a power outage...

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
What model Mac Pro?
What OS versions?
What GPU? How is it powered?
What are your system OS drive(s) and formats? HDD, SATA SSD, SATA SSD via PCIe, NVMe SSD via PCIe?
When was the last time the battery on board was replaced?

hknatm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
What model Mac Pro?
What OS versions?
What GPU? How is it powered?
What are your system OS drive(s) and formats? HDD, SATA SSD, SATA SSD via PCIe, NVMe SSD via PCIe?
When was the last time the battery on board was replaced?

HS10.13.6
Gtx680 efi flashed , 2 pcie power bused used for it to power.
Kingston predator 960gb nvme ssd pcie slot2 for HS (single partition)
Kingston ssdnow 120gb dvd /legacy install windows 10 sata bay 1

I bought this second hand and didnt know when the battery changed exactly.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Is this an authentic 5,1 or a 4,1>5,1?
What firmware (boot rom) are you on?

I'd suggest replacing the 3V coin battery on the board. This is BR2032 as OEM. The CR2032 batteries work and are usually easier to find locally at retail locations, but they do not last as long. This is a very cheap and easy replacement to begin to troubleshoot the issue.

Reactions: Squuiid and hknatm

hknatm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
Is this an authentic 5,1 or a 4,1>5,1?
What firmware (boot rom) are you on?

I'd suggest replacing the 3V coin battery on the board. This is BR2032 as OEM. The CR2032 batteries work and are usually easier to find locally at retail locations, but they do not last as long. This is a very cheap and easy replacement to begin to troubleshoot the issue.

2009dual cpu 4.1>5.1
Bootrom 140.0.0.0
Will try the battery change.

flyingmanatee

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2014
Oregon
I had this issue. Turned out to be the no-name USB 3.0 card I had installed. When I moved to a Sonnet card, the problem went away. I'd try yanking all possible PCIe cards other than preferably a EFI GPU and jamming them back in one at a time.

Reactions: pl1984

hknatm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
I had this issue. Turned out to be the no-name USB 3.0 card I had installed. When I moved to a Sonnet card, the problem went away. I'd try yanking all possible PCIe cards other than preferably a EFI GPU and jamming them back in one at a time.

If so i need to try it, hope it doesnt :/ but i remember it was doing the same when the card was out. Will try it again.

flyingmanatee

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2014
Oregon
If so i need to try it, hope it doesnt :/ but i remember it was doing the same when the card was out. Will try it again.
When you yank the card, you may want to reset the PRRAM, although if memory serves me correctly, this means if you're using an NVidia card you'll deal with the drivers. In any case, I thought I recalled my Mac Pro doing the same before, but yanking the USB 3.0 card was the key. I was only out $17 or whatever I paid for it.

Reactions: hknatm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.