Mac pro since 06 thoughts (going from PC)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hugodrax, Feb 25, 2009.

1. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Went from years of PC to mac in 06 (mac pro, 2.66,1900xt,8GB of ram)
    Rock solid still. And just as fast/snappy as day one. Which makes it tough to even justify upgrading :)

This beast will take what you throw at it with out a hiccup.

I could see getting 3-4 more years out of it easy. If you think about it, the upfront cost for a quality computer does pay off in the end.

No viruses,bloat,or registry crud,slowdown requiring the annual windows wipe etc.. Having to run AV which saps ram and IO.

Etrade Pro runs rock solid on this without a hiccup

Really long runtimes, only time I reboot if I get a patch.

You can run a ******** of apps and keep stuff open, never notice a performance hit.

My Impressions of the OS now that I am used to it and the apps there is no way I would ever revisit windows. Although my wife uses windows XP on her user profile via parallels full screen. To her the Mac is just a fancy PC :)

2. MacFan27 macrumors newbie

That is encouraging because I'm a big time windows user (XPS, etc) and I cant wait to get into the Mac Pro desktop....I'm on the new Macbook PRO and looking forward to a seamless setup.

3. Syonidism macrumors regular

Same here, Ive been using it since '06 as well and its still better than most of my friends' desktops/laptops.

-------For the Trolls---------
    We are all aware that you can get a desktop for 500$ cheaper maybe from other sources however there is the fact that they might not all work seamlessly and you may end up scavenging forums and waiting and posting for weeks, maybe months and maybe never.

oh and btw a macintosh is like a murcielago and a hackintosh is like a cardboardbox with rollerblades attached to a scud missile.

:eek:rite?
    -------------------------------

4. grue macrumors 65816

More like a Macintosh is like an Infiniti G35, and a Hackintosh is like a Nissan 350Z.

Same mechanically, different body and interface

5. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Surely there different mechanically though? I thought that was the whole point of a Hackintosh?!:p

6. TrapOx macrumors 6502

The hole point of a Hackintrash is being a cheap wannabe.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is funny, I was very reluctant to give up my PCs. I finally did and found that OSX seems to stay rather snappy even if bogged down a lot. Windows needed a bit more attention from me but usually ran pretty well. I just found that I was needing to tweak windows far too often. Once I moved to OSX I found this was no longer the case. I almost take it for granted now.

8. johnsy macrumors 6502

It is funny- another year 2006 switcher! My first mac was 24" imac. Love it. Almost 3 years old, but I can see how it will go trough a few years more. With windblows I used to reinstall xp once in a while just to clean all accumulated junk - viruses, registry conflicts, etc. With mac I went only from Tiger to Leopard. That is it. Imac was running like a rock almost 24x7 most of his life and I had to replace only a hard drive under warranty. Also I upgraded to 4Gb memory. Windows? I use it only at work and once a week on my mbp. By the way I use xp. Sorry vista fans, I think vista sucks.

If I had to purchase desktop today i would go for Mac pro. Cost is a little bit bigger but it will last 5 years easily. Might be even longer- 32Gb memory upgrade would help to cope with almost everything even after processors will become obsolete.

9. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

Memory has come down since I bought memory last. I see I can upgrade to 14gb for $300. More, and I have to remove memory.