Mac Pro - single to dual CPU?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by shiato storm, Mar 7, 2008.

1. shiato storm macrumors member

Considering a macpro purchase, if I got a single CPU now would it be possible to upgrade at a later date by adding a second cpu into the machine? (assuming the base is the same regardless of options added etc)... I've been pondering an iMac but don't think the screens are up to par so a move to MP with a dell 24" seems a better - more solid - option, plus for expansion its the only option apple provide really.

2. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

If you are thinking of adding another CPU later, you might as well do it NOW. The CPU and the RAID card are the two things I am willing to pay APPLE a premium to have it installed properly from the beginning. If you are on a tight budget, order minimal RAM, HD (like what everyone does) because they are so cheap and easy to install yourself.

3. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

This has been answered many times here in the forums. The single processor base model MP 2008 will not be upgradeable via Apple. This doesn't bar 3rd parties from coming out with their own solutions, but they'll no doubt be more expensive than the differential you'll pay now for the 2xQuadCore.

4. GotPro macrumors 6502

Not from Apple.

I got the Single CPU myself... and am personally very happy I didn't spend the extra $500... The ONLY TIME I've stressed all 4 CPUs is with Handbrake and encoding my movies to iPod.

Outside of that...

I'm personally glad I saved the $500.

In the future... I can just go to newegg.com and buy a new CPU and plop it in.

Well, if I can find the heat sink :)