Mac Pro slight purr?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by speekez, May 26, 2007.

1. speekez macrumors 6502

Hi All

I've heard reports that people's Mac Pro's are totally silent. Either their computer is indeed totally silent, their hearing isn't optimal, or ambient sounds are drowning out the computer.

My Mac Pro is by no means loud, but there seems to be a faint steady purr from it. Very low and probably nothing out of the ordinary, but there. I have the ATI 1900 and suspect that might have something to do with it. Does the fan on the ATI 1900 constantly spin?

Is there a program to temporarily turn off the fan so I can see if that is the source of the sound? Do folks just live it it?

2. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I have the stock graphics card and I can barley hear my Mac Pro at all. I've heard that the ATI 1900 fan can get a little noisy when playing games so I'm betting that's it. I wouldn't think it would need the fan for web surfing or routine tasks.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If I turn my music off I can hear a slight hum from the computer, but it is nothing compared to my old PC. I just live with it, I can even go to sleep with my computer running now (you have no idea how much of a help that is).

4. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

i just stuck mine in a corner and now i hear more than i thought was there. Try placing it somewhere that the sound cant reflect

5. Jopling macrumors 6502

I have the ATI card and it always purrs. On top of that when I actually use the card for games, the display shuts off. I am pretty sure my card is defective and overheating, so it's quite possible its your ATI card purring. I was one of the first to get a mac pro with the ATI card last year. Ill keep you posted as I try to get this problem fixed.

6. speekez thread starter macrumors 6502