Mac pro slow in osx

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jetjaguar, Jul 19, 2010.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

The mac pro in my sig is just really slow in mac osx .. i had switched to win7 for a few months and recently came back to a clean osx install .. and it just lags a bunch .. when i open up a browser .. finder .. basically any program i hear a bunch of hd thrashing .. im running 3 x 1tb samsung f3s .. and have 12gb of ram .. i was thinking of switching my disk setup and run raid to speed things up?

any ideas ? i might just keep 1 f3 as my boot drive and then get 3x2tb greens and raid them for data?

2. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Sounds more like your System HD might be dying? Can you swap in another drive and try a fresh install?

As a side-note, a guy I work with has a 10,000 rpm boot drive and it's the most responsive Mac I've ever used.

3. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

he is using a 300gb raptor ?

my drives are fine .. its just for some reason osx is very sluggish .. i dont want to go ssd quite yet .. should i just raid all 4 drives 1tb drives or try out some other configuration >

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I would recommend backing up your data, zeroing your drives, and re-installing your OS. This may well fix the problem. Sometimes drives become bogged down over time and need to be defragmented. Also you can use a disk degragment utility such as Coriolis to degrag your drive. This could likely be causing your problems. Be sure and run Disk First Aid first to make sure that you don't have any permissions or disk problems that could be causing your issue.

If Disk Utility reports everything is OK, or if you still have problems after a permissions fix or disk problem fix, then backup your data and run Coriolis to Defragment your Disk. Zeroing your Disk and Re-installing everything will essentially do the same thing but when degragging you won't have to wipe your drive and re-install.

Coriolis iDefrag 2:

http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php

Good luck!!

5. Roman23 macrumors 6502

I thought...

According to Apple's website on defraging the hard drive, its not needed under OS X?

6. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Not true, under OS X drives become fragmented too. When I run iDefrag it shows my disk fragmentation as a visual chart, stuff is everywhere, it takes between 2-3 hours to defrag a drive. After degragmenting, it shows the organization of your drive space, and how it neatly packs everything together and leaves the free space empty. When your drive is fragmented, the free space are just pockets and your data is everywhere on random parts of your disk, it takes much longer to access data when your drive is fragmented.

7. Roman23 macrumors 6502

defragmenting hard drive in OS X.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1375

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

According to this page:

"If your disks are almost full, and you often modify or create large files (such as editing video, but see the Tip below if you use iMovie and Mac OS X 10.3), there's a chance the disks could be fragmented. In this case, you might benefit from defragmentation, which can be performed with some third-party disk utilities. "

So if you continually download huge files (like music and video) and fill up your HD, and delete massive amounts of media files from your HD and move them to external storage or another disk, and then re-fill your drive over, and over, and over...then your disk could easily become fragmented. You could definitely benefit from disk defragmenting if you write lots of data to your hard disk and trash files on a regular basis.

9. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

thanks for the advice .. do u mean booting from the cd and then doing into disk utility ? the drive is only 2-3 months old