Mac Pro slow shutdown time?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bpepers, Jun 15, 2008.

1. bpepers macrumors newbie

My Mac Pro (2008, 8-core, 10GB, 2x1TB RAID 0) system takes a long time to shutdown or restart. Typically over a minute. I didn't think this was so bad (though I think when I first got the system is shutdown must more quickly) until I got a MacBook and it shuts down in around 10 seconds. I was wondering if the slow shutdown time on the Mac Pro is normal and whether there is any way I could see what its doing while shutting down. It just sits there at the shutdown screen with the twirling icon and I'd prefer to see some messages or status so I know what is going on.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Do you have any network shares mounted? If so, that tends to have a significant effect on shutdown times.

3. bpepers thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think so. Its slow to shutdown even if all I've done is boot up and then select to shutdown so I don't think I've mounted any network shares at that point. There are some other computers on the network that show up in Finder though so perhaps its mounting them even though I didn't ask?

I'll try turning off all networking and see if that improves the speed or not.

The MacBook Pro is on the same network though and it seems to always shutdown quickly even if I have been accessing other computers on the network so I don't think this is it.

4. OMFG HAXX! macrumors member

Have you installed a lot of software? Over time, this can have a large effect on startup and shutdown times.

5. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

Do you use NTFS-3G? if yes, try to unmount your bootcamp partition before shutting down and see if it takes less time...