Mac Pro Slow While Encoding DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Shelton, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Shelton macrumors member

Hello,

I've just started a project that requires encoding and burning about 30 DVDs. It is not a professional level project, so I am just using Toast Titanium 8 for authoring and burning the DVDs.

The problem is when I encode the DVDs. It takes around 3+ hours to encode the DVD and my computer just crawls to a snails pace when I do it. I can barely browse the web when I am encoding -- if I am scrolling down a page, it keeps scrolling for probably 20-30 seconds after I stop. There is tons of lag / delays even while resizing and moving windows.

The activity monitor says I am only using about 40-50% of my CPU while encoding. I also have over a gig of ram free and no page outs. I have an 8 core 2.8GHZ mac pro with 4 gigs of ram. The CPUs are running at 50-55C. I am using Toast to encode around 4 hours of video on each DVD (Quality isn't all that important on this project).

It shouldn't be doing this, I don't think. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Shelton thread starter macrumors member

Fixed it.

I upgraded to Toast 9 and the problem went away, so I am assuming the issue was with Toast and not my Mac. Now I can encode two DVDs at once and watch movies at the same time.

3. Shelton thread starter macrumors member

Wow, there was something seriously wrong with Toast 8. I'm encoding 3 DVDs at a time, and doing TONS of other stuff, and my computer feels totally normal. This thing is a beast!

4. Michael73 macrumors 65816

RIP then Encode

I ALWAYS encode from Video_TS and not from a disk itself. Your computer can encode faster than the disk can spin. I RIP using MacDaRipper, encode using Handbrake, burn using Toast 9. It also helps to spend the extra $40 to fill your second drive bay with a second burner.

Handbrake may be a better bet for encoding since it's multicore enabled. I regularly do 2 pass encodes with the first pass pushing 250fps. Handbrake also has a nice queue feature so just line 'em up and let her fly.

Probably not the most recommended way, but you can also select the application and hit CMD D to create a second, third etc. instance of the application to really parallel process. I did that with Toast so I can burn to each of my drives simultaneously.