Mac Pro smell - almost 5 days, still there

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sean Dempsey, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

What is this smell coming from the mac pro? It's not bad, or unpleasant, but ever since I took it out of the box, it's had this aroma, sort of like a new car smell?

It's not faint, if I leave the room for a while and come back, it's definitly lingering in the air.

Is this just me?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's special pheromones that ensure you'll buy another Mac. I believe they make it by wringing the sweat out of Steve Job's black turtleneck tops and mixing it with Jonathan Ive's hair follicles. I could be wrong though, it might just be new plastic.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I too had a "new" smell from my MacPro. It went away after a few weeks ... :)

4. Mustard Chops macrumors regular

One of my pals came over to my house top see the new Mac Pro - when he got into the room that the Mac Pro was in he asked if i had been smoking herbs, as that is what he thought it smelt like :cool:

ps I don't smoke herbs.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i love that smell to death. pretty much every new apple product has that smell. (apart from wireless keyboards/mouse etc) the computers smell awsome. i can still only just smell it on my 9month old mbp. its amazing

6. abrooks macrumors 6502a

Ditto :D

7. emeldahay macrumors member

I scratched and sniffed.

My finger smells of ass. I think it smelt like that before the test though.

8. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

You'll miss it when it's gone.

It trully is a magnificent smell.

If you catch a certain breeze, my 3 year old PowerBook still has it.

Rich.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I found I could get it back on my old G4 iBook when it was running hot. :)

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

huh???? by making it run hot it comes back???

11. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

That is a special secret chemical that is sprayed in the units prior to shipping. It provides the RDF.

My Mac Pro has it now I own two of them, one in my office and one at home. The RDF is strong.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's what I found. It was particularly strong 'round the back vent, under the screen. I've got a pretty crazy sense of smell though, so I'm not sure it's necessarily all that pungent.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wow im so trying that. im addicted to that smell. thanks :)

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Erm, no worries. Don't let your Mum find you doing it.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

dw she's used to hearing wierd noises comming from my room ;)

16. kusanagi macrumors regular

Oh boy that smell!

I did a contract job a few years back installing iMac's into local schools and got addicted to that smell! Then when i picked up my MBP which was the first new mac i had come across since the install job i literally sat there for a good few minutes reliving that smell haha!

Don't worry it'll be gone after a week or so.. then you'll start missing it!:(

17. BigJimSlade macrumors member

My Quad is 18 months old and you still get the occasional whaft. It's the mold release chemicals evaporating.

I feel an "Apocalypse Now" quote coming on... :D

18. Zel macrumors regular

That "New Car Smell" is actually plastic fumes leeching from newly formed materials into the air. It is mildly toxic, and potentially cancerous.

Don't huff your mac!

19. unlokia macrumors regular

Seeing as Macs contain a LOT of polycarbonate, I'd hazard a guess that it is this which causes the aroma!. Probably also, the flux or type of PCB washing chemicals, used in their fabrication plants. Could be the glue from the wrapping mind you, or even a combo of ALL the above!.

20. rainman1976 macrumors newbie

mine smells bad

Hello,

I just got a new Mac Pro 3.0 exactly 7 days ago, which has smelled up the room since the day I turned it on. I also got a new freezer in the room the same day so I thought it was the freezer but I started smelling around the room and it seems the smell is coming from the vents on the front of the Mac Pro case. It is quite a smell ! Smells like a skunk.

Has anyone contacted Apple Care Support about this and if so what did they say? I'd rather not send my new Mac Pro back to them but quite honestly I have never had a piece of computing gear smell like this ever... this is far from new car smell.

~Rainman1976

21. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I love this smell. I can still smell it after I use the computer for a while and turn it off, the smell is there in the morning!

22. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

:mad: Thanks a lot, guys. My wife walked into my office and caught me sniffing the back of my MBP. She gave me a strange look and walked out of the room...

23. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I've been caught sniffing the Mac a few times.

24. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Haha!

It's fantastic with new LCD's. They really hum the place out. When I got the Dell 24" it severely stunk out the room, sadly it started dissapearing after day 3 - 4 and slowly dissapeared.

Imagine what it would be like getting say 24 Mac Pro's and displays for an office or even education, and they were just unwrapped and setup/powered on in the room.

25. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

actually it's the residue of the cleaning agents (used to clean the motherboard) evaporating.

a few days isn't bad, but you really should open a window if possible and use a fan to move the air around. It's not good to keep breathing that :(

Edit : some of you already nailed it!