Mac Pro, Snow Leopard 10.6 icon recovery

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kay Lambert, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Kay Lambert macrumors newbie

I had a hard drive failure recently. In the process of getting up & running again, I inadvertently dumped my system fonts and some library fonts were moved out of their folder when trying to work through a cheat sheet to fix a font management program issue.

I recovered the system fonts. But since then, some application files are unrecognizable, a blank document image rather than a program image. Under kind, it says "Document" rather than the application name.

I don't know if this happened as a result of the hard drive failure or the inadvertent font dump.

Anyone know if there's a way I can recover a document that currently appears blank so I can open it again?

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Do you need icons recovered or 1 document or more than 1 document? The icons and system files can be recovered by an archive and install and patch to most recent build. The document, if blank, may be destroyed and you'll need to scavenge with something like data rescue. Unless you are referring to only the document icon that is messed up or it's relationship with default app to open it?