Mac Pro spontaneously waking from sleep and shutdown

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nick_harambee, Feb 3, 2008.

1. nick_harambee macrumors regular

hi

for the last couple of months i have been unable to put my mac pro to sleep properly as typically within about an hour it wakes from sleep spontaneously. Even weirder is that it also starts up spontaneously from shut down (providing the mains power to the Mac Pro is left on - cos that would be REALLY freaky!).

Can anyone suggest a way for me to diagnose what the problem might be? And given that the Mac Pro starts up spontaneously from shut down, does this narrow down the possibilities of what might be going on/wrong?

thanks

nick

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Is it hooked up to a surge protector (or better yet, power conditioner)? I don't have any idea if there's any merit to this theory, but it might be caused by small power fluctuations.

3. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Try using a different plug in your house, but a surge protector should rule this out :)

4. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

it is plugged in to a belkin 8-way surge protector

5. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

just a long shot, but is there anything that runs automatically i.e. a back up application ?

6. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

You may have a poltergeist - I recommend calling a priest

7. nick_harambee thread starter macrumors regular

i am running time machine but not aware of anything else running that might cause this issue. i can try disabling time machine tonight and see if that makes a difference.

8. krye macrumors 68000

krye

9. knome macrumors 6502

knome

Alot of people have been having the problem. Its tied to osx some how because if you only start the computer in windows and then shut it down the computer does not start itself randomly until osx is used again. So far no cause or fix has been found.

Here is a thread with the info so far. I am also having this problem.

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6447153#6447153