Mac Pro ssd boot raid + windows

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by graphicsmonkey, Jun 19, 2009.

1. graphicsmonkey macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased two SSD drives for my 2008 mac pro. I have these software raided 0 with leopard installed. I have figured out that I cant dual boot off this, which is ok. But now i have been trying to install windows, on the original 300gb hard drive but i have come across a few problems.

Firstly when I try and use the bootcamp assistant it wont let me choose the 300gb hard drive to partition. When i use the disk utility and do it that way, then using the windows cd and in the installation part try to format it to install it this way it says it cant write to the SSD drives. I assume it needs to do something here for it to work with switching between the operating systems and it cant detect the raid because its only software.

Is it possible to do this or will i need to hardware raid the SSD's then try it again like that? or am I missing something here?

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

What SSD drives did you purchase? A model would really help, as there a a few different controllers out there as well as several different firmwares, each with varying levels of support...

3. graphicsmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

AFAIK any RAID on a Mac Pro will prevent Windows to use SATA ports for boot device. The ports will be regarded as external and Windows will reject them. You can uninstall the RAID and set the SATA ports to AHCI mode. Then reinstall the RAID and you should be ok. Setting AHCI mode is not trivial. Search for the thread and proceed only after making a backup.

5. graphicsmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

ok cheers thanks for that. Will i take a performance or speed hit from doing this?

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom