Mac Pro SSD to Mac Mini Problems...

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by GXPvince, Dec 6, 2013.

1. GXPvince macrumors regular

I am having problems with the Mac Mini finding the SSD start up disk(which was in My Mac Pro).

I wanted my exact same setup from my 2006 Mac Pro so I just took out the SSD and swapped it into the Mac Mini. Was I not supposed to do it that way? I am getting the No entry sign.

I appreciate the help. :)

BTW tried starting it with the original HD that came with the Mac Mini via USB 3 adaptor works fine and I can see the SSD in the Mini. I just can't boot from it.

2. mpantone macrumors 6502

There are two main possibilities.

The first one is that the SSD's firmware needs to be updated to function correctly as a boot drive for the Mac mini. You will have to rip out the drive and return it to a bootable computer to see if that's the case.

The second likely scenario is far more simple. The SSD boot drive has a version of OS X that isn't compatible with your Mac mini.

Your Mac Pro is allegedly from 2006, meaning it was probably running Leopard (10.5) or Snow Leopard (10.6) as the original operating system. This drive will not work on computers that debuted on a later version of the operating system.

If your Mac mini is of fairly recent vintage, you would need to at least upgrade the drive to the OS version that the mini debuted on.

Since you say nothing about OS versions nor the Mac mini vintage, it is effectively impossible to give specific recommendations about your situation.

In the future, you should consider putting such information in your signature. Heck, you don't even mention your Mini there.

Good luck.

3. GXPvince thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input..
    I figured out that it was the latter.. So I just used the original HDD (after retrieving info from time machine backup) and am running the 1TB HDD in my USB3 adaptor. Seems just like my Mac Pro except the programs opening within a second or 2.

Just Bought a 2.6 2012. 2 SSDs, 16gb Ram - I definitely can tell the difference in speed from my 2006 Mac Pro. Lightroom runs much more smoothly. Even when I had my MP 5,1 12 core 2.4 this thing runs smoother. Ram Speed? Clock Speed? not sure.

4. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

i hear you on the smooth operation. i got mine a few days ago and love it. its faster than anything i've had and solo smooth :D

congrats on yours, and 2 sad = awesomeness :D