Mac Pro Stalls when Time Machine Initiates

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jleffell, Aug 26, 2009.

1. jleffell macrumors member

I have had my MP for over a month now and I would say that this has happened about 5 times.

I will be doing something when Time Machine initiates and then I get the perpetual beach ball of doom. I am thus forced to manually restart.

I was lured to mac because I thought this did not happen very often. Do other people have similar experiences or suggestions? I am hoping that Snow Leopard will bring some improvements to Time Machine.

Thanks.

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

How is it attached? USB, firewire, esata or is it an internal?

Is it setup automatically?

I have a 1 TB set up just for time machine. Never had a problem. Can't tell when it syncs, seems seamless to me.

3. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Not the same thing but something similar happened to me recently (and 15 minutes ago). During a time machine backup that seemed to be "preparing" forever I made the mistake of clicking on time machine in the dock and it just locked the computer (finder, not open apps) with the spinning beach ball.

That happened once, then today I had a warning box pop up "the device was removed without being unmounted blah blah blah" message, but I didn't have any USB keys or anything else installed and I didn't unplug anything. I thought that was weird. So I then though, what about hard drives? Would that message appear? So I looked in disk utility and sure enough my time machine backup drive (Samsung 1.5TB drive) did not appear in the list (though it was on the desktop. So I double clicked on the desktop icon and the beachball appeared and the finder locked up.

I shut down and unpluged the computer and removed and then reinstalled the HD. Hopefully it was just not sitting right, or else it could be a problem with the HD or a problem with the last slot on my computer. We'll find out soon enough.

I think time machine freezing was because it couldn't find the HD, but it thought it was still there and just got into some weird situation. You might want to double check your backup volume to make sure it isn't the problem.

4. rtrt, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  5. jleffell thread starter macrumors member

Its a wireless Time Capsule. Now that I think about it, this has happened when I clicked on the Time Machine icon in the Menu bar.